Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bent endpin - Where to buy one?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jheise, Sep 4, 2004.

1. jheise

jheise

Aug 11, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi all,

I'm interested in putting a bent endpin on my bass, but first I have to get one. And here's the problem: I don't know where to order one. I asked some luthiers here in Hamburg, Germany, but only one of them had a client who bent an endpin for himself. None of them ever had to do this for a client, so they also didn't know where to get one. I mailed to Slava Pub. a few days ago but didn't receive an answer yet. Any hints where I could order a Laborie endpin in Europe or Germany or even Hamburg?

tia,

Jan

2. I don't know about ordering one, but it's super easy to make your own. All I did was go to the hardware store and buy a piece of steel rod the same diameter as my endpin. Then, I measured and marked the shape I wanted, clamped it in a vise and with some help from a propane torch, bent it into shape. I also filed a flat along one side so the screw could grab better and keep the thing from moving side to side. Good luck...

3. jheise

jheise

Aug 11, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thanks. That is exactly what I'm going to try. Tomorrow will be the day to bend the rod I bought yesterday.

Jan

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    When you make your own bent endpin, what do you do for the tip?

5. I ground mine to a point, then stuck a chunk of randonm rubber on the end along with a few wraps of black duct tape. Ghetto? definately, but it works... Oh and by the way, I quit using mine after a few weeks, I found I just didn't want to change my entire technique to get the seeming small advantage the endpin offers. I can see though that if your technique was allready condusive to it, it could be a good thing.

6. darksail

darksail

Aug 13, 2004
    Firenze, Italy
  7. jheise

jheise

Aug 11, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi again,

I bent an endpin yesterday and I'm very pleased with the result. I bent the rod of a spare endpin my luthier gave me. Only the rod was intact, the rest of the endpin was broken. The rod had the same diameter like the one in my endpin. I bent it and afterwards i tapped a screw thread (hope that's the correct term - I'm not a native speaker) so i could screw on one of the same rubber tips that I have for my unbent endpin.

I didn't have the time yet to play it extensively but my first try was very promising.

Jan