1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bent endpins

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bfitz, Apr 7, 2006.

1. bfitz

bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    I have been reading about bent endpins on this site and now I’m interested. I have known about the idea for a little while but I have never played on one. I saw a video clip (I believe it was posted on here) of Rabbath and at the very end of it he goes into the difference of his stance verses the more "common" stance and I realized that it might be what I was trying to do when I started sitting on a very low stool, almost cello like. I have started to stand again just because I feel that the bass just sounds better for me when standing but I miss the looseness I had in my left arm while seated. Long story short, I read on here that some people have made there own endpins, what angle did you have them bent at and how? I also saw some posts about eggpins and labrore (sp?) endpins. I know the eggpin is expensive and the other pin involves drilling into the bass, any preferences? Anything like the eggpin that is a little cheaper? And finally, can some one with any bent endpins on there bass post a couple pictures of them, I can't seem to find any and I still don't completely get how they look and fit on the bass. Thanks for any help.

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
  3. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    hi, mine is bent so that the tip is about even with the back of the bass. there are different ways to make your own based on the diameter of your endpin. the wider endpins can be made by bending thick walled aluminum or steel. the smaller solid rod endpins require heating up with a torch to bend. you also need to file a flat spot for the adjustment screw so the endpin doesn't spin around.hope this helps.

4. You can always make a atachment thats bent and put it on the end of your endpin

5. luthierbass

luthierbass

Jan 2, 2005
    the endpin itself can cost about $60 and to install would be $20. Drilling the whole can be very tricky, then use a cello reamer to fit the end pin. That needs a very exprienced hand to do. Because of the angle and motion the rib would want to just rip out.. so its best to leave it to a pro. call around to your local luthiers to see who does them...