1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bernard Edwards - The Bassist for Chic

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Apr 3, 2006.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I just picked up one of chic's records the other day and HOT DANG, Bernard is one funky dude. The record is C'est Chic, and man all the lines are grooving and tasty. I'm a big fan of Jamiroquai and i can see where they get there sound from, they sound like a newer version of chic.

This thread is dedicated to Bernard and his funky self. Please comment on his playing on other albums or whatnot. And, what amps and basses and other gear does he use?

Keep on funkin'

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yup. Bernard Edwards, Verdine White, Bootsy Collins & Larry Graham are The Four Horsemen of Funk... :cool:

MM

3. I'm a 42-year-old white guy who listens to the old school R&B station for the aforementioned dudes, amongst others.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Uh, Louis Johnson would like a word with you.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Markjazzbassist, I hope I'm not telling you something you already know, but Bernard Edwards is deceased. He mainly used P-basses and letter Stingrays, but he liked to pose with a B.C. Rich. Marcus Miller has a good story on his website about that.

Woodchuck, I could go with Bernard being one of the four horsemen of funk. I love louis Johnson, but no one was funkier and smoother than Bernard Edwards. When I was early twenties, I listened to him more than any other bassist
    at that time. If I hadn't come up during the slap era, I probably would have patterned my playing exactly after his style.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    When I first started playing Bass I was into Bernard Edwards(like a crack head :)) pulse,feel,groove,smoothness and how his tone sounded so great in the mix just as much as I was into Louis Satterfield,James Jamerson and Chuck Rainey and he was a very talented Producer as well.

If you want to check out a killer live record check out Chic live at Budokan.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000I8LB/102-8374499-9556113?v=glance&n=5174

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Then again, Rick James was also a player...

MM

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Oh, I agree! I practically worshipped the man! I just wanted to figure out a way to put Thunder Thumbs on Mt. Funkmore! :D

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I played in Disco bands back in the day and learning Bernard Edwards lines was pure joy! One of the greats!! Bernard could also rock and was a great producer, you could always hear the bass up in the mix on any Bernard Edwards production.:bassist:

10. Tripper

Tripper

Aug 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I'm another Bernard Edwards junkie - I love his playing.

Just wanted to chime in. :)

I know John Taylor (from Duran Duran and Power Station) was an obsessive fan of him as well.

Tripper

11. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Awesome player, shame he died so young.

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Dude, I tried playing Everybody Dance this afternoon

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Dude, I tried playing Everybody Dance this afternoon :eek: :bawl:

That's some crazy string skipping disco groove! Shees.

14. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I love that man's tone!

15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    My band cover "Everybody Dance" and , of course, "Good Times". I used to play "My Forbidden Lover" and "Le Freak" with a different band way back. All great lines to learn and fun to play - I think MFL would be the favourite of these four. "My Feet Keep Dancin'" is also kind of fun, too. Bernard was a top bassist, he's listed right there in my TB profile as one of my influences. That 70's and 80's disco/soul/funk material is very much my kind of stuff.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)

You lucky SOB!! This is my fave BY FAR!!!

17. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I think I still have the dots somewhere if you'd like to me scan them for you? Warning - it was transcribed by our guitarist and needed some work before I managed to get the Bernie magic working as it should! :D

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    I'm cool. I eared it about 3 years ago. It took me about 30 minutes to learn that song!

19. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    sounds good. I am happy you guys have been digging bernard. The other night i put on le freak and started copping his lines. Man, chic is just so groovy, you can't help but dance around while you're playing it:D

keep it coming

20. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Good work, my man! 30 minutes makes you a fast learner in my book for some of those licks.