Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 2x10 Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lefthandbass17, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Carvin RC210
    SWR 2x10C

I'm leaning towards the Carvin, is there anything else worth looking at other than these two?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If your budget allows it, a Peavey BAM210 blows both of those away in tone, volume and flexibility. Best 210 combo on the market, IMHO.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'll take an Eden DC210-XLT "Metro" over either of those choices anyday.

The Carvin-spec'd Eminence speakers will disappoint you, big time, when you get on that E or B string at real volume.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    +1

However, embellisher keeps going on and on about that BAM, I think I may have to check one out soon.

-Mike

5. wow that eden is expensive, i'm talkin bout somethin in the 8 to 1000 dollar range. probably should have said that b4.

6. rickbass

You should check it out it you can. Trying out all you can is the smart way to buy.

Obviously, the "5150" in your user name is a tipoff to a Peavey preference.......nothing wrong with that. Plus, Jeff (embellisher) knows tons about gear and I highly respect his opinions.

What turns me off about the BAM is paying for a bunch of effects you may never use much. Amp-loaded effects never sound that good, IME, as opposed to buying your own individual units. Nonetheless, you may very well like those on the BAM.

I don't think you can lose with either rig. They're just very different.

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Check out any of the GK 2x10 combos. Most of them can be had for under $1000 on ebay or GC.

8. rickbass

As you said, "BEST 2x10." But it's a badass!

Seriously, you can find them used. Plus, the BAM isn't any cheapie either, if I'm not mistaken.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They go used for 800-1000. I believe $900ish is the going price on one of those puppies, used.

The GK combos are also nice, and a little cheaper.

But the Eden is the holy grail of 2x10 combos, IMHO (as well as amplification in general, but that's another thread).

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Or, it could be a reference to an album from my favorite band. :)

Regardless, I will check one out when I can. I use the Metro now. If the Peavey is better, then I will get one.

-Mike

11. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I second the Bam 210! They are expensive, I was fortunate and bought mine used in mint condition from another forumite who sold his over at HCBF. As for the built in effects. they come in useful in the fact that you have 16 user presets you can store and save and recall them with a couple of steps on the pedal board. For instance I have four differents preset sounds that I stored for one particular Bass. I have the one I normally use which I dialed in the tone by mixing it with an amp models,one of the cabinet models, dialed in the eq, compressor, etc. and stored it as my primary, then I dialed in a fretless tone, stored it. then I dialed one in for a slap stlyle tone, stored it. etc. the point being, you have an incredible amount of possibilities. Now lets talk about watts 350 add an extension and you have 500. Plenty of versatility there for any gig. you only need to take the combo for most gigs. But when and if you need it for large gigs add the cab. :cool:

12. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I love my GK 700RB 210. great sounding amp with lots of volume and a fat sounding growl that leaves room for your technique to give you some color.

I'm not a big fan of a whole lot of other combos because they color your sound too much.

13. rickbass

FWIW - While "shopping" today, I noticed www.basscentral.com has a used Eden Metro for sale at a grand....(scroll way down; it's described as "Used/As new...never used onstage....one slight flaw on grill")

You might contact "Gard," a TB all-star, who works there and see if he can do anything for you.

14. Been using a G-K 400RBIII for 3years now and couldn't be happier!
    Put a G-K 1-15 bottom under it, and push some air.
    jbrist