Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Amps for Slapping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainRaab, Nov 18, 2004.

1. CaptainRaab

CaptainRaab

Nov 13, 2004
    What are people's opinions on the best amps for slapping?

The pros and cons of tubes and solid states for slapping?

2. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    SWR or EBS

3. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    My vote is Sansamp RBI with any decent power amp.

4. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    I second EBS

5. any "higher-end" solid state amp will do the trick. I like EBS.....

6. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I have to say EBS first. And as much as I'm not a big fan of their stuff anymore, SWR still makes good stuff for slapping. I'd have to say they are second.

Myron

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Heard Victor Bailey with his sig. Fender, a Fafner and a 410 by EBS. Well.... I was really disappointe by the tone and sound... :meh: The highs were there and smooth or harsh, but the lows broke up too easily, and sounded distorted in a bad way.

IMO slap goes better with Hi-fi SS amps. Like GK. Or the solid states from EBS, HD 350 or rather 650, or their preamps with a good SS power amp. Also, there are a lot of not-so-mainstream amps that do that very well, too.

As for slapping with tube amps, well, the tone you get is distorted, not clean, nowhere near that Hi-fi lows and highs, and uneven sometimes. Go to www.basstasters.com for some of TB member vanselus's clips and compare the tones.

8. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I thought Fafner was hybrid.

9. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    For a slightly cheaper and still excellent slap amp you could try the GK RB series, 400,700, 1001 or 2001RB's. Excellent sounding, fast reacting amplifiers. I bought mine based on its reputation as a good slapping amp which had a ton of growl.

10. +1

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dunno - slapping, kicking or punching, all amps feel the same. usually you end up hurting your hand.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    "You always hurt the one you love." :rollno: :crying: :bawl: :crying: :rollno:

BTW, my Demeter VTBP-201S + PLX1602 + Schro 410 sound dang fine for slapping.

13. EBS, definitely

14. Another vote for EBS here. Although I´m no good at slap, my thumb just can not resist the call of my EBS rig. Delicious!

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    From what I've heard about the all-tube Trace Elliot V4, V6, & V8 heads, they would probably sound great for slapping.

16. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I know the V8 definitely sounds great for slap.

17. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I think SS is better for slapping than Tubes. My Aggie DB 680/ Demeter VTHM 300 tube power just not right for slapping and popping

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I get a great slap tone with my GK's, but I have to put a vote in for the older SWR's.

19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    How about a Walter Woods? :)

The qualities I look for in a good slapping amp are:

1. excellent dynamics (SS amps tend to be better in this area)
    2. clear highs (usually some kind of parametric EQ is helpful)
    3. solid lows without mud ("lower midrange" is more important than "extreme lows" in this regard)

One of the most important things in slapping is the "attack" of the sound, when you're thumping with your thumb or popping the G string. I look for an amp and speakers that can deliver the attack without compromise. :)

20. Herbanez

Herbanez

Nov 18, 2004
    Anything GK in my opinion....the 800rb bi-amped is a pretty sick combo for slap.