1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best analog emulation on a digital delay pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nicholas Smith, Mar 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    Hello folks,

Do you have a digital delay pedal with an analog setting that sounds warm and as close to authentic to a stand alone analog delay pedal?

Hunting further to make a choice...

2. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I'm going to have to say the new UAFX Starlight is probably the best-sounding, now. The sound quality of these new UAFX pedals is astounding.

HolmeBass and fclefgeoff like this.
  3. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    If only they were slightly affordable

westrock likes this.
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Haven't done an extensive comparison but the tape emulation on the Nemesis is pretty darned good.

bassmonkeee, lordradish and rsmith601 like this.
  5. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    I usually find the tape, chamber slap, or wire style DSP emulation more convincing than BBDs for me.

The Strymon Timeline does a pretty good job on them to me, but if that's what I'm looking for primarily I've got several smaller, less complex, less expensive, & slightly more sonically pleasing options that are actually analog. I've never tried their Brigadier but I'd assume it would be at least as close as the Timeline for me.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Came here to post the UA as they look and sound bananas.

A DD20 is still pretty incredible and have stood the test of time, IMO. Lots of really wonderful delay sounds, including analog and tape, and my favorite, the modulated delay. Also, has tap tempo, room for four presets, and looping. Lots of tweakability and they can be had for really reasonably prices now.

7. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Source Audio Collider / Nemesis

DrMole, rsmith601 and Bassgeer like this.
  8. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Look at DoD Rubberneck.

What is it specifically you are looking for? Do you have a budget?

There are some analog delays out there in the $100-200 range. Also look used to save some money.

HUNGRY ROBOT PEDALS THE MOBY DICK V1

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I haven’t tried any expensive digital delays to bring to the table but I was very impressed with how close the Line 6 Helix did when trying to replicate the analog craziness that I can coax out of my MXR Carbon Copy.

Lots of digital delays can cop the sound of analog well enough but they fall down when trying to replicate how they react when pushed into self oscillation.

Greg75 likes this.
  10. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I’d say they *are* “slightly” affordable. $400, in comparison to the Boss DD-500 or Strymon Timeline is a reasonable price, given the quality.

I was just saying over at TGP that, in the grand scheme of things, $1200 for the trio of UAFX pedals isn’t that much more money, in the context of a $10K rig: $2K each for two guitars (or basses), two amps, and a pedalboard, plus cables and accessories. For bass, or if you played a mono guitar rig, you could get away with dropping one amp, so $8K.

For someone gigging regularly, spending $2K per instrument, $2K per amp, and $2K on a pedalboard is just the price of pro level gear in the 2020s.

But, the alternatives to the UAFX trio are what? $200 a piece? So, the difference in price is $7400 v. $8000? How much does that really matter, in the long run?

Geir Birkeland and HolmeBass like this.
  11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I imagine that there are a number of pedals that will be recommended.

Here's one more:

Wampler Faux Tape Echo v2.

It really took a lot to displace the Boss DM-2 from my pedal board but the Wampler was up to the challenge. It does everything the DM-2 does and a whole lot more. Very organic repeats, the ability to dial in as little or as much modulation as you like, tap tempo, subdivisions and crazy good self-oscillation. Also, it's a really clean and solid build and made in the US.

I play boring old, regular electric guitar too and I'm considering getting a second Wampler for that pedal board too. It's really impressive.

Greg75 likes this.
  12. basstalkname

basstalkname

Jan 16, 2020
    Check out the EHX Canyon. The Deluxe Memory Man and Tape modes sound great. $150 and it has other modes and features that sound great, too.

HolmeBass likes this.
  13. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    The Diamond Memory Lane Jr is a beautiful sounding delay, and sounds really similar to the Memory Man. Love the easy to use tap tempo, and has a fun pitch modulation setting

14. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Strymon El Capistan
    =tbn:ANd9GcS3oVQhnwc1dWPU9jPMtlaO5SlzyILzF9MiRW56kwIjL7au9xSyuSC82q8JG6KJLKbMHEdDk3NOiQ&usqp=CAc.jpg

15. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    LOVE my Strymon Volante! It can stay pretty clean on the studio (reel to reel) mode with plenty of dirty, warbly weirdness on tap with the drum (binson) and tape (echorec) modes.

Nick von Nick likes this.
  16. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have a DOD Rubberneck, and it sounds wonderful. But it’s not an emulation, it’s an analog delay.

17. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    here's a a little trick.. Danelectro Dan echo.. and a ibanez echo em-5 echo machine.. or use cheap analog delay into a looper.. or digital delay..

18. hardwire delay/looper has some great sounds (tape, analog, and lofi) would be up your alley. the looper is not nearly as useful as a dd7 but i keep picking up the dl8 when i find em cheap because the delay sounds are so fantastic

19. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

Another vote for the Strymon El Capistan. I also like the Wampler Faux Tape Echo in a smaller, more reasonably priced box.

20. I've gotten some nice "analog" sounds out of my old Boss RE-20 Space Echo.

Here it is with an Alesis Micron synth going into a CopilotFX Android Ring Mod being fed into the RE-20, often overloading the Delay in a cool way, adding to the lo-fi vibe.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021