Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stedtale, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Hey y'all!

I am looking for a new combo. I need a small combo that has lots of punch, clarity, low end and smoothness - and of course it must sound tasty. :cool:

I play many styles of music and play a six string, so it needs to handle the low B. I have a 1960's ampeg portaflex and a Carvin PB500 with a 1x15 and 2x10. The ampeg sounds nice, but lacks the punch and low clarity live (sounds awesome when coupled with the DI in the studio) and the Carvin is too heavy/bulky to carry around. I need the amp for smallish venues as a stage monitor, and at practice. Price is not really an option, but I's like to keep it under $1500 - I'm selling some unused equiptment to get this amp.

I know this is the best place to go for advice, so lay it on me. :hyper:

Thanks!

2. I am currently waiting patiently(long story- a replacement for one that was damaged in transit)on the arrival of an Eden CXC-110, a 330 watt 1x10 combo. I already have an extension cab, which bumps the power output to 420 watts, I think. Very loud little rig, & fairly light- 49 lbs for the combo & 35 or so for the cab. The thing I'm sold on, though is the tone. Unbelieveable! Sweet is just not the word, w/upright or slab. I got the pair for well under your budget from BassNorthWest. BTW, they(BSNW)are not in any way responsible for the shipping fiasco- that was purely UPS.
    Edit: I play 5, 6(& I totally overuse the low B :D )& upright- this thing does it all well.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My first choice would be an Eden Metro. Followed closely by the Peavey BAM. Those combos hardly qualify as a stage monitor though.

In that case, wait for the Yorkville posse to roll in here and drop some knowledge on ya. In the meantime, do some research on the B100R from Ampeg.

-Mike

4. Ashdown MAG 210T-300. This little amp rocks. Low B sounds big and full.

5. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Eden Metro for me.

The GK 700RB-II/1001RB-II with the 210 is very appealing as well.

6. ingo62

ingo62

Mar 15, 2005
    Emden, Germany
    Yep, the GK 1001RB-II with the 210 is sweet!

Or a used Trace 2 x 10"
    Or a Glockenklang Soul Combo :bassist:

Greetz
    Ingo

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    +1 !!!

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    SWR Super Redhead, and Eden Metro are the two that I've tried and liked.

Never had the chance to play the Glock, but I'm sure it's niiice. Markbass make some neat lil ole combo's.

AI make some nice combo's as well....

9. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Ampeg B100r-- classic tone, classic look. You'll dig it.

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've tried a Redhead and a Metro. The Metro handled a low B much better. Neither of those is a "small" combo in my mind. I've never found a "small" combo that could handle a low B and be loud.

I think you'll have much better luck with a small head/cab rig. I love my Eden WT-550 and Bergantino HT112. It's lighter and more portable than either of the above combos.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You might consider the new Carvin BRX212 ($800).

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX212&CID=BRX

I haven't played this combo yet, so I can't evaluate it from personal experience, but I do own a B1500 head and I've played several of the BRX cabs, and IMO the BRX series gear, generally speaking, is good stuff, better than the RedLines and better than the PB500 (which I used to own also, and which did a good job for me for years). The few people I've heard of who have the BRX212 seem to love it.

In another vein, you might also consider one of the Euphonic Audio combos:

http://www.euphonicaudio.com/2005/products/iamp800c.htm

I'm not sure what these go for these days, but it certainly would be *far* more expensive, since the list price is $2395.

Personally, though, I don't think I'd spend $1500 for a combo. For that kind of coin, I'd be more inclined to go for a head-cab setup. But as always, YMMV.

12. i went through this hunt a month ago... and had about the same price range. I didn't need anything super loud, and I wanted it to fit in the front seat of my car.

i bought the yorkville xm50c... it's 50 watts into a 1x10... i know... it sounds like a joke of a recommendation.

it keeps up with a drummer and has really really nice tone. it only weighs 30lbs.

the best part of all $300 price tag. AND 2 years... no questions asked warranty.

i compared this amp with:
    - eden cxc110... which distorted at half volume...
    - EA wizzy 10 & 12... nice sound... but not very warm
    - ashdown 1x10 combo... much bigger than the yorkville and 300 watts distorted the speaker at half volume
    - acoustic image clarus... real nice, great tone... real expensive and speaker distorted at half volume

the moral of the story is... you can have gobs of wattage... but there is just no way to have one ten inch speaker keep up...

for about 1/3 the price... i got the yorkville. i practice with it 3 times a week with 2 guitarists and a drummer.

13. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    Gallien Krueger Neo700 112 combo. 320 watts thru a 1x12 neo and 480 watts with an 8 ohm extention cab. 55 pounds, loud, punchy, nice low end, portable, and expandable. i just ordered one this morning because i need an amp for the same reasons you do. you wont believe how cheap you can get them either. :bassist:

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  15. Wow Thanks!

I am intreged by the ashdown stuff as well as the yorkville. How well does that Subhermonic thing on the ashdowns work? Is it actually worth it? Is it simmilar to the "Enhance" on the Edens?

16. The Eden Enhance i believe is a compressor mostly dialing in how tight or loose you want the punch...

The Ashdown Subharmonic is a low octave like effect that is intended to give more "rumble" i believe.. its a matter of taste.. i think most players choose to leave it turned down or off.

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, it's not a compressor--it's closer to a variable loudness control, in that it alters the EQ balance.

18. i stand corrected... i went to the eden site here it is...

"The Enhance circuitry boosts the lows, upper mids and highs while at the same time cutting the low mids."

19. Lebowski

Lebowski

Jul 11, 2005
    How are the Ampeg 15'' Combo cabs? Worth buying and reliable?

20. iconoclast

iconoclast

Sep 13, 2005
    +1!

I like the sub octave. I have it at about 10 o clock.