Best Bass Compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stedtale, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Hello again-

What do all of you you for your live compression, if you use it? I'm trying to decide if I should get a nice standalong compressor for my live sound.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I never use compression live, only when recording. If you are trying to decide whether to get a compressor for live use you need to consider why you think you need it.
  3. I guess I've just always thought that compression helped to even out your sound and clean it up a little bit, just like it does in the studio. I'm I thinking wrong on that? :confused:
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Compression always sems to bring out very strong opinions. To each their own. I don't see anything wrong with trying it if you want. If it works for you, great. If not, great.

Compression, like everything else, can be used for good or evil. I use the "built in" compressor on my Eden head. It's subtle, leaves me with dynamics, but also takes out the big "spikes" that occur from time to time.

I really like the PreSonus BlueMax Compressor. I just set it on the "bass" preset. Worked great for what I wanted.
  5. Yes there is always the built in compressor. I am looking for a new head...
  6. Picked up a Dunlop power supply for my Demeter Opti Compressor since I think I will be using it more often than not. Its very subtle, like a 12" vs a 15"speaker. Like the additional punch. Likely leave it on all the time, except for a few tunes we do that are light and airy with simple melodic bass lines.
  7. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I just received my Thunderfunk TFB 550 amp ... Dave Funk has built a 'Limiter' rather than a compressor into the amp, claiming that it leaves the sound with more of its original character than a compressor. It limits the spikes without affecting the soft to high-normal volume tones. I can't tell yet as I am still waiting for my speakers (Accugroove Tri112Ls :cool: *boast* )
  8. uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Can't live without my Aphex :) helps me control the tone and gives that deep "ooomf" sound(guess its called "punch" :D)

It's on at all times.
  9. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I don't have a compressor, but my amp does have a limiter, which is good, since I am running 900 watts into a Acme 2x10.

I like to have the limiter there for a safety net. I also think that as long as you don't over-compress your sound, you'll be fine. Although I have been looking at the Keeley Compressor pedal.
  10. I use the compressor slightly on my Yorkville xs800h slightly. Though I almost never see it light up unless I'm really banging away. I use the limiter too, though the amp master is rarely past 4 so I don't know if it's ever being used or not.
  11. ingo62

Mar 15, 2005
    Emden, Germany
    Hi Low-Enders,

I'm using the dual band-compressor of my Trace SMX-Preamp. It's a no-brainer, low comp at 10 o clock, high comp at 9 o clock and ready. It's subtle and works for me, just speaker protection and taming the "pops" a bit :)

Greetz from ol' Germany

12. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I use the Boss Bass Limiter/Enhancer. Picked it up for $25.00 on eBay, and it leaves me with plenty of volume and tone to work with, but evens out everything nicely. It isn't the best, but unless you want a rack unit, it's one of the nicer limiter/compression pedals I've seen.
  13. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Originally I got one (Aphex Punch Factory) when I was still rocking out on my Squier. I thought it would make my **** bass better, but alas, the guy at Guitar Center screwed me over. ANYWAYS, I didn't use it for a while, but I decided to plug it in again recently. I really liked it, but i'm not using it again. I'm pretty sure i'm not gonna add it again. I like being able to control my own dynamics and whatnot.
  14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    It all depends on what you want to use the compression for. I use a dBX 160X, basically for speaker protection.

15. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    No, you're not. That is one use.

16. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    +1 The controls are quite sensitive tho, they can take a bit of fiddling to set up so that they sound good. It's quite easy to squash the life out of your sound with this box.