1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best bass for drop c and drop c#

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pickftw, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Pickftw

Pickftw

Jul 23, 2012
    Hey i wanted to get a bass for drop c and c# for around $300 or less and no i don't want to get a 5 string. I play post-hardcore, hardcore whatever you want to call it stuff like escape the fate, eyes set to kill, bless the fall. so anyone got any suggestions?

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    In the $300-$350 price range the Ibanez SR300, Esp Ltd B154dx, & Jackson Js3 are great basses in general. But asking what bass works best for what tuning makes no sense at all. In the under $300 range for a nice bass used is the only route to take imo. Rather then asking what bass works better for diff tuning you should think more in terms about what gauge strings to concider when thinking dropC compared to regular tuning with 45-105 gauge strings.

3. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    For drop C, I think it's better to tone up a B string in just half tone than to tone down an E string 2 tones.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

C is very low with a standard E string. I tune C# for a few songs every gig..... any lower.... Fart city.

I have had good results with C# tuning with a Fender Jazz and a Precision, a Stingray, a Modulus and a Sadowsky... So basically any bass.

The secret IME is heavier strings.

5. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    same here...i dont have that many issues going down to a C...

6. Ive had (have) great success with a Squier VM Jazz. Great for a scooped tone. Just make sure you put a set of strings that are 50-110 gauge on whatever bass you get. Strings wont be floppy then