1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass lessons for absolute beginners?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Iwanttoplaybass, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Iwanttoplaybass

Iwanttoplaybass

Apr 3, 2019
    I'm looking for "free" bass lessons for absolute beginners.If you can recommend me some complete and well organized material would be great.I want a complete course with step by step instructions and progressive difficulty.
    Thanks!

2. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    I started with “Billy Sheehan Basic Bass”. I bought the DVD which was not expensive however I came across the video on YouTube which would make it a free seminar. In addition to playing it covers essentials like how to hold a bass and how to change strings.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Solude likes this.
  4. BossOnBass

BossOnBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
  5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    +1 to Talkingbass.net

6. Ditto Talkingbass. Both Mark and Ed Friedland have a talent for using examples we understand.

They write and speak the "good stuff".

7. Fred Pucci

Fred Pucci

May 2, 2019
    Looking back at my own journey (self taught), I strongly recommend you learn “ theory” right from the start. It will help you understand “why and when” to play what, and free you from just copying others or learning scales without knowing what to do with them.

I just recently completed Ariane Cap’s Music Theory for the Bass Player and could not recommend it more strongly! Some of it may be too advanced for you at first, but a lot of it will be perfect for you to establish good technique and a good foundation in theory. And you can always circle back to the harder stuff later.

Her book is about $30 and if you are serious and disciplined, you will be making a great investment in yourself. She also has an online course, which is more money, but something you can wait on until you get more comfortable playing and ready for the next step. Here’s both links. Best of luck and welcome to the Club!

Book: https://amzn.to/2XaBOwY
    Online Course: Steady Track Music Theory for the Bass Player - The Course

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    An absolute beginner needs lessons with a real person. A book or video can show but it can’t correct. And beginners need lots of correcting.

9. Again ditto to some theory. The getting started sticky has enough to get you started. How to get started?

I recommend post number 4, 6 and 14 as a starting point. The information in those three posts will give you enough to bang out some root notes and play along in most good ole boy bands.

Then ask specific questions here, someone will answer.

Have fun.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021