Best "Budget" Jazz Bass Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by darjeeling, Jan 29, 2021.

1. darjeeling

darjeeling

Jan 4, 2020
    Ohio USA
    Anyone have any insight into the best jazz style pickups for a decent price? Looking to upgrade my jazz project bass, it has some squier pickups that im not digging. Nothing exactly wrong with them, recently I installed a hipshot kickass bridge, to get a nice clean low action, but i guess i didnt realize the bridge pickup was stuck on the highest height it can go. The height screws and springs were rusted, so digging in at all with a comfy action will make a terrible 'clicking' sound every time the string slams against it while vibrating. Playing lighter sounds fine though. I guess I just thought screw it! time for some new pickups.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    What's your budget?

3. darjeeling

darjeeling

Jan 4, 2020
    Ohio USA
    I should have specified that! Probably 70-100 $

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I'd probably look for used Duncan or DiMarzio. They both have a range of different flavors depending on your tonal goals.

cataract likes this.
  5. You can find a set of used EMG J pickups for $100. Keep an eye on Reverb and TB Classifieds as those come up as do most other brands. Generally, they will come with wiring that could be solderless. Tuck a 9v in with the smaller 25K pots, change the input jack and roll...! Why mess around?

6. EpiccustomShop.com

These guys sell really good pickups at a really good price. Had a custom pickup made by them and it's amazing. Will buy some jazz bass pickups from them with 1/4" magnets and their "black gold" wire.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022