1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Combo Amp $500 to $700?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by titanbandman, Mar 2, 2008.

1. I have an Ampeg BA115 that I like, but doesn't seem to cut like I need it too...plus the BA115 hiss is something to wreckon with. Would like to go to a Combo that is dependable, solid state or tube, and doesn't take a semi to haul around. What do you guys like? 1-15? 2-10's? Brands? I like Fender, Ampeg, SWR....others that I should try that will have support in the midwest? Thanks! :help:

AW

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    The Roland combos are great in my opinion. I have used a Roland DB700 for many years and it has never failed me. Mine is a 15 with a tweet, some modeling and has a memory bank to store favorite settings. I love the built in compression also. It's rated at 275 watts , but a local tech benched it at 300. The new ones are a little out of your range, but sometimes you find them on Ebay for $ 600 to 700.

3. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Have you tried an Ampeg BR100, Rocket amp? I also have an older SWR Workingman 15 that is great.

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I would be willing to be the GK 700RBII-210 combo would be in the [upper end] of your price range from RMC Audio - request a quote and at least see if it is in your price range. It it a great combo that will get very loud. It can do tone that ranges form clean to snarly.

5. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I have the Ampeg B100R and it is KILL-ER! It is 100 watts and I use it for outdoor gigs when there is a PA. Cost is about $550. Easy to use as well. I also have the B200R which is 220 watts, and also amazing, and I use that when I need a bit more volume on stage. But for my 50s rock trio, I am finding the B100R to be more than enough. The B200R is about $600.

6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    try to find a used eden nemesis 320 watt combo. those things are amazing.

7. Chriso21

Chriso21

Jan 15, 2006
    Fort Worth Texas
    mesa buster. by far. heavy though

8. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    To my ears, the Ampeg B100R is the best sounding combo out there.

9. I am hearing the Ampeg B100R is a good combo - great. What is the difference between this and a BA115 other than price? Still looking at others too...I am an Ampeg fan myself....just want to be getting the best I can. Maybe a small amp and cab is the way to go for this money? AW

10. victor6

victor6

Dec 2, 2007
    The SWR WorkingPro 12 is an impressive little unit ... 200 watts, tons of features. Street price is $549 and I've occasionally seen it on sale for $499.

Victor

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 on the Working Pro, or even an older Working Man's. Alot of clean power for the money.

12. MrPrashant

MrPrashant

Dec 13, 2002
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers
    Get yourself a used Trace Elliot.

You can get them on the cheap these days, and if you find a pre-gibson one, you will never let it go.

13. Bump - Any other opinions? Thanks.

AW

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Take a look at the Traynor combos. Good sounding reliable gear.

15. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Having played through both the B100r and the BA-115 I can tell you the B100r is a far superior amp. More headroom and overall volume than the BA-115, no useless hissing tweeter like on the BA-115, just a better sounding amp overall. I use a BA-115 for practice and just recently utilized a B100r in the studio. Worked great, now I have GAS to replace my BA-115 w/ a practice/backup B100r.

16. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    +1 on the Eden/Nemesis line, good stuff with good features and nice prices.

If your willing to go used, I'd recommend a Mesa Walkabout 12 too. 300w @ 4 Ohms (~500 @ 2 with an extension) and you could probably find one for the upper end of your price range these days.