Best flats for a P poll

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ficelles, Jun 12, 2021.

1. TI Jazz Flats

148 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. La Bella LTF

54 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Dunlop flatwound

21 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. DR Legend

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. D'Addario Chrome

83 vote(s)
    13.5%
  6. Roto 77

25 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. Ernie Ball flatwound

32 vote(s)
    5.2%
  8. La Bella DTF

126 vote(s)
    20.5%
  9. GHS Precision

49 vote(s)
    8.0%
  10. Fender flatwound

49 vote(s)
    8.0%
  11. Gibson flatwound

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  12. Optima Flats

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  13. Pyramid Gold

6 vote(s)
    1.0%
  14. Sadowsky

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I know this has been done a bazillion times before but it's always good to get a fresh perspective... best flats for a P (that's Precision) not just best flats, but best specifically for a P.

Reason being, I'm looking for some flats for my P and I'm not liking TIs or La Bella LTFs on it. Looking for smooth feel, not too stiff, not too dull, even output across the set.

I will add any suggestions to the list as I see them...

tempImage1dvqFe.png

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  2. Lenny JG

Lenny JG

Aug 3, 2019
    USA
    The kind that sound good to YOU. I'd suggest looking at some YouTube vids or comparable sound samples.

JRT64, Lucky Chuck, dasherf17 and 2 others like this.
  3. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    The point of the thread is to gather opinions from the tb membership, some of whom have been known to put flats on a P bass.

4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Well… this is SUPER subjective and you’re gonna get tons of answers. Every bass is different… just wanted to make sure you realize that.

My only experience with a P with flats is my wife’s Fender Blacktop P that I slapped a set of Chromes on nearly 4 years ago. Absolutely fantastic in my opinion.

5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Either TIs or La Bella DTFs depending on the sound I'm going for. Right now, I have DTFs on my P for that super classic Motown sound. The stiffness is a bit of a struggle.

I disliked the Chromes and the Fender flats on my P.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

(TI jazz rounds)

:D

7. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    So the best flats for a P are rounds :) Did I use the word fretless i the title? I didn't, oh well...

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

FWIW: that string set is unique and it may very well check all of your boxes but one! ;)

no you didn't...just thought i'd help a brother out..... :thumbsup:

.....back to our regularly scheduled programming. :D

Oddly likes this.
  9. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Actually I have a set of rounds on my Warwick fretless, not totally opposed to the idea... I love the smooth feel of flats though :) Doesn't Tony Franklin use DR Sunbeams on fretless P?

tindrum and JRA like this.
  10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    So here are my €0.02:

TI Flats: Singing mids. Feel like boiled Spaghetti. I like that a lot, on many a bass - but not on my P. (The sound I dig, the feel I don't).

LaBella DTF: Once they settle in, they have the classical oldschool thump, but it's a good few hertz lower than 'normal'. These thump bassier.

Chromes: Slightly rough to the touch at first (rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth will help), these sound a bit more metallic and retain their upper end more.

What I'd like to try next: Optima Flats. I have them on my Jazz and they sound, for want of a better word, organic. A bit wooden.

11. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I wish I could add Optima Flats to the list but it looks like poll editing is time-limited like post editing.

12. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    TI flats on all my basses. They seem to bring out the best tone in each.

fretlessguy, hermzy, sethlow3 and 8 others like this.
  13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Pee pole? Peep hole?

packhowitzer and sonojono like this.
  14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I like Dunlops and have them on several basses. TI seems to get the most love here, but they feel like plastic to me and sound more like "plink", IMHO.

BLDavis and J-Mags like this.
  15. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    You won't get any meaningful answers whatsoever unless you tell us what kind of tone you're looking for. Different flats have a MUCH wider range of tones (and feel) than roundwounds. You wanna sound like Motown? You'll need the LaBella DTFs. Roger Waters? That would be the Roto 77s. A modern tone with more upper mids presence and a sort of "orchestral" vibe? Thomastik Jazz Flats.

And then there's tension and even more importantly stiffness. Flats vary a LOT more than roundwounds in this regard, even if we're talking about similar gauges. Rotos are VERY stiff (unless you get the lighter gauge sets that sound extremely unbalanced across the strings). Thomastik JFs are VERY floppy and also very low tension. LaBellas can be extremely high tension (at least if you go for the higher gauge sets).

Etc. etc....

You really need to tell us what you're looking for. I can tell you MY preferences (which are several different types of flats btw, depending on what kind of tone I need) but I won't. It won't help you AT ALL. At least not until you tell us what kind of tone you're looking for and whether you want to avoid very floppy/stiff or high/low tension strings. If might even help to know what kind of pickup you've got in that bass. Is it dark or bright or middle of the road compared to a typical, average P-bass pickup? Overwound?

There is no "best" here. Every single option on your list are good quality strings but they're very, VERY different.

16. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    This is TB. Obviously everyone will throw at you TI Flats.

But if you’re looking for balanced output, the GHS Precision Flats does a nice job on that tonal department. Not sure about the rest…

17. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Labella DT for old thumpy vibes. D’Addario chrome for modern bright vibes

Mili and Steve Boisen like this.
  18. I voted TI flats. I haven't played every set you have listed, but TI flats were truly an "ah-ha" revelation for me in terms of their versatility. Yes they have a floppy A string but I quickly acclimated to that.

I do keep Labella DTF on a shortscale but that's for a very specific sound that does not work with most the music I play.

19. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    Dunlop flats, exactly for these reasons.

uwrossl, BLDavis, Marihino and 3 others like this.
  20. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    My favorite after trying virtually all on your list is not on your list - Pyramid Gold

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021