Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best head for a SWR 6 x 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doublenickles13, Mar 5, 2004.

1. I read all the negative (lack of power) threads about the Ampeg B25. I've been thinking about a GK 1001. Not digging the SWR heads and can't outright afford Aguilar and Eden. Thoughts?

thanks!!undefined

2. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    check out a carvin b1500. I think the rb1001 is a good choice but you wont be able to use it's bi-amp capibilities.

3. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Take a look at the Fender 800 Pro. It pushes out plenty of power into a Goliath Senior to really move some air, and sounds pretty good. I realize it's all solid state, etc, but it sounds as warm as anything, and really puts out what you give it. The price is good, and from what I can tell, quality certainly isn't poor. It's definitely worth an audition.

The Goliath Seniors are pretty power hungry, as they aren't super sensitive and roll off pretty high, so for the best sound I suggest cutting stuff below 50-60 hz, and a bit of boosting around 100-200 hz. It uses a lot less amp power for transients, and sounds REALLY good.

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Not important to me. I've used my 1001rb for 1.5 years running full range the whole time and never missed having the horns (that I don't care for anyway) set up in the GK biamp style.

IF I were going to bi-amp, I'd personally use a 210 or more for the high/dirty channel anyhow. Different strokes.

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

Say what? The Goliath senior has an SPL of 110db at 1w/1m. That is a higher sensitivity rating than most cabs out there.

As to the head question... thats quite a jump from the Ampeg B25 to the GK in terms of sound and power. What tone are you looking for? If you're tight for cash you may want to consider a used peavey of some sort (mark IV in particular)

6. I'm using mine with an Ampeg SVT Classic and I am really happy!!!

7. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I've read that spec, and have a lot of trouble believing it. I've played with Eden cabs among others that are far more sensitive than the SWR, and those ratings for sensitivity are published as being 6dB lower than that, if not more. I'm rather familiar with the SWR having owned one for about a year now. SWR's specs online or in the owner's manual are pretty dubious, I think.

In addition, I would like to add that I was trying to say one needs to feed a Goliath Senior a lot of power to really get the bottom end out there. At least that's what my experience tells me. I'm sure others have had contradictory experiences. That said, I love the cabinet, and after having paired it with a sub to grab the lows, it is a combination I'll have for a long time.