1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best head to use with Orange OBC410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JK_Turin, Oct 11, 2013.

1. JK_Turin

JK_Turin

Aug 14, 2013
    Northwest UK
    I've got an Orange OBC 410 and running an ampeg svt-7 pro through it but not getting the power I thought I would. any suggestions on head units that would go better with the Orange cab whilst keeping around the £600 price bracket?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's not a matter of "power". Your head is rated for plenty of watts @ 4 ohms, but I suspect the OBC410 is an 8 ohm cab. Add a 2nd identical cab and you'll have a significant increase in output volume, or trade up to a bigger 4 ohm cab, (810, 412, etc), but just adding more power to your current cab will get you nowhere.

3. JK_Turin

JK_Turin

Aug 14, 2013
    Northwest UK
    What about adding an 1x15 (8ohm) same effect as adding an identical cab?

4. NO

And more importantly - WHY ?

5. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    It would be fail.

What kind of gain/compressor/eq settings are you using on your amp? What kind of changes tonally are you looking for?

6. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    I use a Mesa 400+ with a single OBC410 and love the results. Sounds massive for a 4x10. That being said, I'm not sure how it would sound with the styles that you list in your profile. Maybe just get a second obc410 and buy a back brace or get someone else to move it?

7. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    The OBC410 is a 600W, 8ohm cab - while the SVT-7pro claims to supply 600W at 8ohms. Technically, your cab and your head should get along swimmingly.

Personally (although it's probably done) I would not purchase a head that is rated at a higher output than my cab. As mentioned, if you're not getting the beef from the 410 that you expected, it could be a matter of EQ settings.

And for those that poo-poo a 410/115 combination - I understand the reasoning and the logistics, but the Orange 410/115 combo works quite well in my experience. I own both cabs, and recently bought an Ampeg PF800. It does seem like it's a little harder to EQ on the 410 than the 115. I stacked them together, and it shook my guts. I've played two 410 Orange Cabs with an Orange AD200b, and it was loud - but it didn't make me smile like the 410/115 combination.

YMMV.

8. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Try an Orange Terror Bass head with your cab,you might like it.

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    only tried the 200 watt orange head with the 410, nice power trio/retro punk grindy tones

mesa d180 with 2 orange 115s, fat deep tone or cutting od

both setups were adequate for a loud band with a hard hitting drummer

10. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    I,m using an Orange Terror 500 and a sp212 cab and it,s blistering loud and rumble yer socks off deep with very good articulation even with a good dollop of gain.
    Stick one of them on top of a 4x10 Orange cab and it will sing.
    OBT will run full power at 8 and 4 ohm with selector switch on the back.
    There is a 1000 watt version as well-if you get stuck !!!!