1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Jazz Pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by paperbag1213, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Revolution Solo

22.0%
  2. The Realist Metal

26.8%
  3. The Realist Wood

7.3%
  4. K&K Sound Golden Bullet Microphone

4.9%
  5. Underwood

39.0%
  1. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Feb 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm looking for a pickup to replace my
    BP-100. I need to get a great jazz sound
    out of this pickup and hopefully a semi-decent arco sound.

Please be aware that my amp is usually less than 5 feet
    away from me so feed back is an issue. Thank you
    -Kyle

*edit

You can also suggest other pickups and mics as long as they
    are under $230

2. The same PU won't sound the same on different basses, so that kind of poll is pretty useless, IMO, and with all due respect.
    You may want to add the Full-Circle though.

Regards,
    François

3. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Feb 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I don't have adjusters on my bass
    thanks though

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Agreed. I figured maybe this could serve as a poll of what people use. That might be more useful, if only a little. :) I voted for the Rev. Solo because it's what I use, not because I think a "best jazz pickup" can be identified.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Rev Solo is a terrible pickup. Get a Realist, that's what I use.;)
    I predict your thread will go pretty much like this.

Seriously, check the newbie link for pickups/microphones. What type of sound are you looking for? Generally, a Realist will be the darkest pickup and your BP100 one of the brightest. However, the odds of predicting how a particular bass will work with a type of pickup are only slightly better than a trip to Vegas. Educate yourself, then try.

6. Gotta agree. I have a couple of basses and what works on one doesn't on the others and that's with the same player, strings, basic setup and amp. There really isn't any easy way other than buying and trying. Hopefully, you'll get something that works well before you buy everything out there.

mark

7. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Feb 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Well I have EPs on my bass and my pup sounding
    somewhat ok with my eurosonic but now it sounds
    like crap and really tinny and bright. I want to really
    get a dark warm sound. So I'm gonna try out the underwood
    and would someone mind putting up a small clip of of
    a realist pickup just walking something simple and maybe a
    short arco thing.

Thank you

8. The realist never could make me happy. A Fishman pre-amp made it some better but still too dark and boomy on two totally different basses. But when I installed the Clevinger Natural Presence a whole new spectrum opened up. Now years later I still haven't heard anything better and everything they say about it is true to my ears:

http://www.clevinger.com/clevinger_stuff.htm

Clevinger Natural Presence double bass pickup

* Installs in seconds without tools
    * No alteration to your instrument
    * Complete freedom from batteries
    * Closest sound to a miked sound as possible
    * Best arco and pizzicato at balanced levels

Natural woody tone because the pickup itself is made of wood, the most pleasing conductor of sound. Each pickup is made of genuine Sitka violin-top spruce in a proprietary laminar structure with a transducer element intimately coupled to the wood.
    The Clevinger Natural Presence pickup produces warm, sweet lows, complex mids and natural highs, with full expressive dynamic range bowed and plucked. There is no need to change any setting when going between arco or pizz. EQ, pickup switch settings, volume changes and phase gimmicks are someone else's problem. You just play the music and bask in the rich warm tone. Want tonal versatility? You've got it in your fingers. The Clevinger Natural Presence system is so sensitive to player nuance, and you won't need to twiddle dials, stomp pedals, flip switches, or change batteries in the middle of a tune.

*The Natural Presence and tone are optimized by it's composition, no pre-amp is required!

clevinger.

9. What amp do you use?
    An impedance mismatch is the worst thing for a piezo pickup.
    You need a very high impedance input preamp. (or amp)

10. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Stanley Clarke sounds pretty darn great using a BP100.

I agree with Francois, you may need a buffer preamp if you're not using one.

11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I now remember your situation. You are borrowing a bass and have limited funds.
    I really think your best bet is to use an Underwood and pick up one of Fdeck's fabulous preamps. That is exactly what I would do in your situation.
    Then practice until you get the sound you hear in your head to come out of your amp.

12. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Unfortunately, there isn't a "one size fits all" bass pickup, because there are way to many variables. The closest one might be the Full Circle, but until it's on your bass there's no way to tell. The BP-100 didn't work well on my bass at all. Both the Realist and Underwood did . I prefer the Realist, but again it's a matter of personal choice.

Ric

13. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    On this, we all seem to agree! :)

14. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    In my experience trying pickups on five basses, the Realist didn't work at all on three and sound(ed) great on two. The ones that it didn't work on were plywood or hybrid basses. So, my shadetree mechanic (luthier) theory is that it works best on nice sounding carved basses.
    Although the Underwood isn't my cup of tea, it does seem to work on a variety of basses.

15. The K&K Bassmax should be on the list of options. Many jazz players like it. The Golden Bullet is designed to go with the Bassmax.
    Unfortunately there always seems to be a lack of consensus on which "whatever" is best for "whatever" when it comes to the double bass.

16. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Feb 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Well I have been using a Hartke amp
    but i think it might of finally died...(its the schools amp)
    its 25 years old...

But i played through a SWR combo and that didn't sound much better.
    I like the sound of my bass non amped so that leads me to pickup.

how much of a difference does the preamp make. like not the preamp
    in a combo but from the pickup to preamp to the amp input.

ahhh confusing

17. The amps you describe are likely to have a very low input impedance.
    Try to get a preamp from a friend, teacher or the like and put it between the pickup and the amp.
    (that preamp should have an input impedance of at least 1 megohms; more is better)
    You may be surprised of the difference.

BTW, in reference to your signature, Stradivarius never built a single bass.

18. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    The best jazz pickup might have been when Ray got Ella. :D

19. William Hoffman

William Hoffman Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Lodi, California
    now that was funny! or did Ella get Ray?

but maybe this poll should be restarted with a more complete list of pickups and a different question: which one do you use?

20. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Which could be found through a simple search.