1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Lowpass Filter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Raccio14, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Raccio14

Raccio14

Mar 3, 2010
    So I'm looking for a lowpass filter and currently I'm torn betwen the Moogerfooger MF-101 lowpass filter, and the Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe (with all the bells and whistles). Any advice/reviews/comparisons?
    I'm open to suggestions of other pedals as well I guess, but don't confuse me too much! :D

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    There's no 'best'. It depends on the character of filter you want and what you want to do with it.

My favourite filters are the Robot Factory meatwad (a super-versatile but compact Lovetone Meatball clone) and the EHX Q-Tron (a Mu-Tron clone that sounds fantastic and you would have to be a real snob to argue otherwise).

3. I've been using my mf101 for the past 2 years and it's great. I recently took the xerograph deluxe plunge and will post a review when I get a chance to compare them (in the next two weeks). I'm hoping that the xerograph will destroy my mf101. It has served my well but I think it's time to move on. Nothing but love for the mf101.

4. Raccio14

Raccio14

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks iamdenialNJ - best response thus far. I'd love to see the review.

Matt Dean - not only is that thread outdated because it was only the engineering sample at the time, but no one in the thread actually posted a direct comparison. it was all just speculation, which gives me nothing.

Kevteop - I know that everyone has different opinions on the pedals, but there is possible to compare similar pedals against each other. Also, the pedals that you recommended to me are envelope filters, not lowpass filters. Did you even read the thread?

As far as the comparison between the two pedals, I'd love if in the mean time someone who's used both can share some of their experience.

5. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    You should PM John Davis who I'm reasonably certain has owned and used both.

6. Raccio - almost all lowpass filters in pedal form are also envelope following (the Moog and Xerograph included). Both of the pedals kevteop recommended can be used as a static lpf if you turn the sensitivity or range all the way down.

I've owned the Moog, and Behndy let me borrow his Xerograph for a couple weeks.

I'd say that the Xerograph is "cleaner", and the Moog is "synthier". i.e. the Moog has a more resonant, peaky, synthy quality to the filter sound than the Xerograph. It kinda depends what you're looking to do with it. If you want huge 70's synth sweeps, I'd go with the Moog. If you want to do like dubby reggae tones, I'd go Xerograph.

But that's just based purely on the sound. The Xero can get you 90% of the way to the Moog, and it takes up 1/4 the space and is true bypass, which the Moog certainly isn't (a lot of people really hate the bypass on the Moog).

7. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I've never used the Xerograph but the MoogerFooger kills!!

Not sure that helps but... there you go.

8. Raccio14

Raccio14

Mar 3, 2010
    This is actually exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks. Also, I had no idea that I could do something similar to a LPF with my envelope (i currently own the Qballs), so i'll have to give that a shot before I buy anything. But thanks man, it sounds like the xerograph might be more me.

9. Shish

Shish

Sep 17, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had both. To tune Moogerfooger I had to look at manual on website for settings examples. It wasn't intuitive for me at all. Xerograph on the other sounds awesome with any setting and it's very easy to find your sound. And I don't even talk about size and power supplies))

10. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    ordered my Xero a week ago. now 3 more weeks to wait plus a week for shipping... SIGH...

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021