Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best MAC interface

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Davehenning, May 6, 2004.

1. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Howdy folks,

I have been looking into getting a recording interface for my Mac G4 Powerbook.

I have been eyeing the Midiman Quatro but have no experience with it.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    JMX,

Dankeshane fur dein info!

(my German sucks)

:)

I also forgot to mention that I am looking for something that is small and that I can take on the road with me. I want to be able to record in bus lounges and hotel rooms....that kind of thing.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    If you're going to spend the $$ get a firewire unit over USB. You get way more bandwidth (remember firewire handles streaming DV with room to spare) but you'll pay more for the interface.

The device JMX pointed out is quite interesting as well . . .

I'm looking at getting multitrack I/O for audio at some point this Summer as well, so if you do pick something up, would you mind posting a review?

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the tips. Yeah, from what I have read so far, I like the looks of what JMX pointed out.

I just want a small, portable one. I already have an older Motu 2408, but I am not crazy about it. It was fine when I bought it back in 1999, but it is time to move on and it is also a rack-mount unit so it stays at home. I want to go smaller.

I will definitely post a review when I get an interface. Though I must warn you that I am slightly computer-retarded. :D

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Luckily you have a Mac (note capitalization ;) ) so you can be "computer retarded" and not have to worry about it. :)

I'm looking for something small and even bus powered if at all possible. I just don't know if I can get 8 in & 8 out for a reasonable price though.

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

LOL! Sometimes I think my computer is going to get me for being such a moron when I use it. Like it's gonna tell the toaster to burn me or the something..... :D

Yeah, there is a bit of stuff out there.....I will let you know if I come across anything interesting.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you want something small, you might want to look at the Protools MBox. It's what I use for everything, and other than my cat breaking it in half the first week I had it (taped it together, got rid of the cat), it's tre cool.

9. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks.

I do remember hear or reading about the MBox. I had totally forgotten about it..... thanx

~Dave

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My brother has an M-audio Firewire 410. he loves it, it works great. He uses it with Logic Platinum and Garageband.

You want to get a firewire interface if possible, though USB can suffice, if you intend to do serious multitracking, you most likely will have latency issues with just a USB interface.

unfortunately there aren't many Firewire interfaces on the market. The 410 is pretty much the only option in terms of consumer stuff.

other than that there is the MOTU 828 which provides a lot more inputs and outputs, but is more expensive.

pet peeve] Mac is short for Macintosh, it is *not* an acronym.[/pet peeve

11. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks. I will add those to my list of options.

Side note: I know mac is short for macintosh....I just wasn't thinking when I wrote the title... i have had always had a Mac around for almost 15 years.

12. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    If you want a kick ass unit as far as stable drivers for OSX/OS9 and best sound quality then you must check out Metric Halo Mobile DSP. My friend has one, he swears by it, he had a Delta 1010 before and it's a joke compared to Metric.

http://www.mhlabs.com/index2.html

Cheers