1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best method to clean Birdseye Diamond fingerboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by benchpress11782, Apr 25, 2019.

1. benchpress11782

benchpress11782 Supporting Member

May 23, 2007
    this is for a Roscoe bass. Thanks as always.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Assuming there's a finish on the fingerboard, naphtha (lighter fluid) works well. So will acetone if you don't have a lacquer finish. At a more mundane level, a damp soapy rag will do the trick too.

3. benchpress11782

May 23, 2007
    staccatogrowl likes this.
  4. benchpress11782

May 23, 2007
    How about steel wool?

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Am I seeing metallic lines? There's a future problem.
    Sure as long as you can keep from contaminating the pickups. That is why so many here recommend nylon scrubbers, no steel splinters to get concerned about.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    RSBBass and 96tbird like this.
  6. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    I would think about working up to that. Start with a soft cloth probably. I don't think it's a good idea for the ongoing feel of your fingerboard to use anything that harsh.

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I would never arrive at that. Ever. I have never heard of steel wool being used to clean finished furniture; a finished instrument is no different.

The op finish is most likely nitro. That calls for naptha and or a mild detergent. Gentle work with a scotchbrite pad.