1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best of Craigslist

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Paladin54, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Paladin54

Paladin54 Rockin' the root...

Feb 3, 2012
    Michigan
    Just saw this on the best of Craigslist

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/pdx/3130813075.html

Dear God of Bass Players
    Date: 2012-07-10, 12:15PM PDT

Dear God of Bass Players, I, a humble singer and guitar player, and my drummer compatriot, humbly beseech thee to send us a bass player, strong of wrist, fleet of finger, and wisened in the ways of rock and roll, particularly punk, post punk, and garage. Would that this bass player be over the age of 21, so that we may drink ale together and perform at local taverns. May he or she be in possession of a vehicle with which to travel, and professional quality gear with which to produce tones most pleasing to the ear. We ask that you grant us a battle-hardened bass player, possessing knowledge of scales, so that when I say "this song is in E-minor," he or she shall comprehend. May he or she be a punctual bass player, and not a lay-about, a rogue, a ruffian or a villain. In John Entwhistle's name we pray. Amen.

2. that's #$%^ing awesome!

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Lost me at punk , post punk , pre-punk and puke.

4. They would have been better off just blind-sending it to the Rush Fan Club.

I don't think Geddy browses craigslist...

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    What he said ^

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Nice.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a cool one.

... think I'll give him a call ...

8. He doesn't even know the string names ? how the hell does he tune before EVERY show then.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Only on Craigslist.
    Sure is a scary place.
    After numerous auditions thru CL I'm
    staying home and putting on Pandora and jamin.

10. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    I am mainly confused because they want someone to play punk and post punk but then expect them to know scales and have professional quality gear.

11. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I thought this was going to be a thread about Casual Encounters :|

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have a bass player at my jamspace who has four letters taped onto the side of his road case... that is what he tunes to. It is pretty embarrassing but this is only the tip of the iceberg.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What is " north country "?

14. He probably has one of those clip on tuners that shows the strings in numbers rather than letters, and lights up green when you've got it right.

15. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

Sep 17, 2013
    San Diego
    County, not country. It's what most people around here refer to instead of saying "North San Diego County". Pretty much everything north of La Jolla / Mira Mesa is considered "north county".

16. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    We're sold out of frisky goat right now .:bag:

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If he rambles at the mouth as much as he does on the keyboard, you'll never get off the phone. Although I have to question the legitimacy of the ad, because he doesn't mention Miles Davis amongst the influences. It's like a law that when you list influences, you have to place Miles Davis somewhere in the middle of the otherwise unrelated influences in order to try to appear hip and eclectic.

For example... "My influences are Slayer, Earth Crisis, Bad Brains, Sex Pistols, Mayhem, Miles Davis, Venom, Cannibal Corpse, and Unearth.

BTW, for those not in the know, there are a couple of threads in the Gig Stories and Humor forum dedicated solely to funny and bizarre Craigslist ads. You can have hours of fun reading through that stuff. :D

18. Unearth is good. I grew up with Derek Kerswill, who used to be their drummer. Actually, he's back around here and has some new projects going.

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I actually love Unearth - a truly great band in a scene of mediocre and boring metalcore bands. I even have their debut on vinyl. It's weird listening to it compared to their newer releases, because they've come a long way as musicians and writers; but I guess that's what working with good producers can do.

20. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    As a trombone player Glenn Miller is my go-to. Listening to that in a mill got some interesting reactions.