Best options for gooseneck mics?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Les Fret, Jan 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I play in an acoustic quartet now with guitar, violin and flute. I have done some gigs with micing my bass. Just putting a mic on a stand before the bass. But I don't find this convenient because you always have to take in account the position of the bass relative to the mic. That limits your standing position and flexibility on stage. Also the mic can get in the way with my bow. I don't use an amp on stage.

What are good options for gooseneck mics like the AMT 25B or the DPA 4099B? Never tried any of those gooseneck mics. Which ones are the best? Both soundwise and feeback resistance wise. And what do think in general of them if you compare them to pickups or putting a mic on front of the bass?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

I like my ATM350. If he hasn't sold it already Ric Vice was selling a DPA 4099 at a real good price.

Max George likes this.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    It sold today, there is an AMT in the classifides, with the Tailpiece mount goosekneck.

4. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Ok too bad it is sold. What did you think of it?

5. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Les,
    The DPA is great at what it does, because of it's off axis rejection and ample gain before feedback. It's leightweight, has a small footprint, and
    can easily be taken on and off the instrument. The newer version has a removable cable, and a goosekneck extension. The AMT was it's predecessor in
    a way and works very well into an amplifier. It is perhaps a little warmer sounding than the DPA.

Ric

6. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Ok thanks!
    Anyone any experience with this ear trumpet mic? Apparently used by Christian Mc Bride. Is it better than the AMT or DPA? And what about feedback?
    Nadine

7. Nadine is awesome. Good at feedback rejection. Sounds a little ‘warmer’ than the DPA which is a very clean and clinical approach.

8. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I have a DPA that I could be convinced to sell. It's less than a year old and I am considering getting rid of my Remic mics also. My purchases were impulsive methinks...

Les Fret likes this.
  9. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Doesn’t the Nadine placing get in the way with Full Circle plug placing between the strings? Or can they be used together without problems?

10. I’ve used it with a lifeline. I think there is room for both.

11. I use a Full Circle and years ago moved the jack off the string afterlength and mounted is on the side of the tailpiece like a Realist. I never liked the cable sticking out the front like that. I'd LOVE to try the Nadine, but for now I'm pretty happy with the AMT mic I scored used a few years ago. It works great for the bluegrass, gypsy jazz etc gigs I do.

12. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Really like the Nadine concept but it's 700 euros. That's a bit too much for me for just a live mic. Maybe you can use it for recordings also but I guess it's better to have a mic which position you can adjust in that case (?).

Ric Vice likes this.
  13. Just wait until the new Cool thing comes out and you can buy a used Nadine on talkbass for half price

Ric Vice, John Chambliss and Les Fret like this.
  14. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    ExplorAudio H clamp and any mic you like: THe H clamp works well with so many different mics.

Chris Fitzgerald and Les Fret like this.
  15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Wow and I forgot I had one. Time to put it in the TB classifides.

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If the mic is going to the front of house, I would recommend the H Clamp. You can use any mic that isn’t extremely heavy with it, and it can reach a number of spots in relation to the top. I used mine today for a video recording project, and it’s easy and reliable.

The Nadine is a really nice product - I just wrote a review on it for Bass Gear. It’s got a nice thick sound and the mounting mechanism is solid and well designed. It can easily co exist with the Full Circle.

If I were doing more gigs with FOH support, I would use the H Clamp and choose a variety of mics depending on the sound I wanted. The Line Audio Mics from Sweden would be the front runner for cardioid condemsers as they are tiny and sound great. For a dynamic mic, I like the Shure Beta 56; it’s heavy but compact and positions well.

The AMTand DPA mics are high quality products, but I don’t like how fragile they are for live sound applications, especially as regards the cables. Something with a regular XLR connector feels more roadworthy to me and likely to hold up over time without worrying about breaking them. As always, EEMMV.

armybass likes this.
  17. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Do you think a Sennheiser md421 u4 would fit in a H clamp? Would that be a good mic for bass live? How about feedback with this mic?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I just looked at the specs for the 421, and it weighs less than the Beta 56, so I'd have to think it would work fine on the H Clamp. Again though, I would only use it for FOH use and not try to run it through an amp, which is a whole different can of worms.

armybass and Les Fret like this.
  19. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Yes direct to FOH is what I am doing. if I want an amp I will use my Full Circle. But I would rather use no pickup and amp at all for this quartet. Any experience with the MD421 for live bass? I have only used it in the studio.
    H clamp plus MD421 might be a cheaper alternative for me since I already own the MD421. But I am not sure if that mic is suited for live use (in acoustic quartet setting)?

armybass likes this.
  20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I haven't used one in years, but for FOH I think any quality cardiod pattern dynamic mic would be fine for FOH use. There will be some bleed as the sound from the other instruments will bounce off the top of the bass, but as long as the mic behind the speakers and isn't getting its signal sent back to the capsule via the monitors, it should work just fine.

armybass and Les Fret like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021