1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best place to get new tubes...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pandafist, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    ...is?
    I have to order all new tubes for my SVT CL and I was wondering if you, in your collective wisdom, know of the cheapest place to order them online. Please help. I'm poor from blowing all my money on gear in the first place, so saving a little on this end would really help me out. Thanks guys and gals.

2. Not the cheapest, but close, and their reviews are dead on.

http://thetubestore.com/

I am hoping you have a good 250 bucks laying around for tubes.

3. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Well, I don't have $250 LAYING AROUND per se, but I can could come up with it. I was HOPING for a better deal than THAT. My amp guy will do it for a little over $200, including labor. I know that a great deal already, but I'm thinking if I can find tubes at the price he's paying, I can save the labor costs and just do it myself. Anybody?

4. 200 for tubes and service is a steal for that head. Do you know how to bias an amp?

5. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    yeah. the SVT CL makes doing it REALLY simple.

6. Psychobassguy or whatever his name is will tell you those are ok, not great, but make sure you have matched tubes, if they aren't matched that turn knob isn't going to do squat.

Also you shouldn't have to replace preamp tubes. Those things last close to forever.

7. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Yes. I'm aware of these things. Thank you though. I'm just looking for a site where I can shop for my own tubes, and therefor save some labor costs.

8. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    The preamp tubes are fine.

Just looking for a wholesaler or website where I can get 6 6550C-WC tubes on the cheap. Anybody?

C'mon... Someone here knows. Help out your brother bass players.

9. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    thanks. I'll check em out.

BTW - The cheapest I've found so far is $204 (other than on Ebay), which seems pretty good. Ebay is cheaper, but I'm skeptical about buying 'new' tubes on Ebay for obvious reasons.

10. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    If the best price you can find is $204, then why not just have the guy buy them at put them in for his price of $200?

I would just trust someone else to do a full retube like that more than myself.

Just a thought.

11. CactusmanDoug

CactusmanDoug Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Pandafist,

I've got the guy for you.

His name is Brent Jessee and he will educate you and fit you with the tubes that will work best...and not send you to the poor house.

I retubed the B-3 at church and the Leslie (except the 2 Leslie power tubes) for $118.00 with all vintage stuff.

Try this page www.audiotubes.com

You can also call him... he is such a nice helpful guy.

-Doug

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

Why waste time to save $20 or so?

13. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    that's what I'll most likely do, but I fully capable of swapping tubes out myself. I'm all about saving money these days. If I can find them any cheaper, I'll just do it myself and save whatever I can (which'll go straight into the gas tank :bawl:)

The only reason I would ever take it anywhere for something this simple is a situation like this, where parts and labor cost the same as buying parts and doing it myself. I'm the type of guy who would rather do it myself (if i can). You learn more in life handling your own problems as opposed to paying someone else to handle them for you, no?

14. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    And to Baird6869... Doing things yourself is NEVER a waste of time IMHO. Especially if the alternative is paying someone else to do something your fully capable of (and would actually enjoy) doing.

I don't know about you guys, but I've definitely got enough time in my schedule to swap some tubes out.

I mean, if we've got time to sit around on talkbass, we've got the time. AM I RIGHT OR AM I RIGHT? :p

15. CactusmanDoug

CactusmanDoug Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    I'm tellin' ya...

www.audiotubes.com

Save yourself some headaches.

16. What makes you think you need new tubes anyway?

17. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    simple. Cause I blew one. If I had a digital camera, I'd be happy to show you. I also bought the head used, so the tubes were fairly old on top of that. Time for new tubes.
    As an aside, I also had the fan go out on me at one point. I caught it before any real heat damage happened, and it was easy enough to fix. Now that we're on the topic, I'm wonderin how much I would have had to pay to have someone else service it?
    Too much. ;)

18. Tubes don't "blow." I don't know what you think is wrong, but short of a burn mark from an arc or a gassed up envelope, dead tubes don't look ANY different. On top of that, tubes last MUCH longer than you're giving them credit for doing, but since you seem to be the expert, I'll defer to your judgment. :rolleyes:

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Pandafist, guys here are trying to help you out. They might save you some money in the long run, and even save you the price of a retube.

From what I understand, biasing using only the LEDs on the Classic is less than satisfactory, and there might be another reason for your tube becoming damaged. Sometimes saving a few bucks is a false economy as it will cost you more down the line.

You can at least hear out the very knowledgeable folk here, no one is trying to make you spend more than you need to.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021