Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best recording program?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Michael Bolton, Nov 27, 2004.

1. &lt;Flame target="me"&gt;Cubase SX 2.x&lt;/Flame&gt;</FLAME></FLAME>

- Andrew

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Sonar 2 XL at least for me :smug:

3. I like N-track, but it differs from person to person.

A lot of people will obviously say Pro Tools if you want the BEST sounding program, but it also has to do with alot of equipment too.

4. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    My band recorded our CD with Cool Edit Pro (Now called Adobe Audtion. It's the EXACT same program, though.) and we got a better recording than all of the local studios I have recorded at. Of course, the fact that our guitarist's dad is a recording engineer probably helped a little... :D

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    ...and when they say this, those people will be wrong. When you're working with DAW software like Sonar/Protools/Cubase/Ntrack/etc, there is no sonic difference. They all manipulate the bits in the same manner. They come with different plugin packages, some of which are superior to others, but only Ntrack's are "average" instead of "really good" and you can't judge a DAW package on its included plugins since it's easy to just get better plugins.

The reason Protools (on a Mac) is such a popular DAW package is that it's been around forever so a lot of people know how to use it well.

6. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    my band is in the process of recording with cool edit pro (now adobe audition) also, and i love it. i've used cubase and cubases sx, and have found cool edit easier to use, and we achieve the same sound quality.

7. Here's an example of 2 songs we recorded with Cubase SX 2.2 and processed with nothing but Free VST Plugs (although I really do Like SX's DoubleDelay):

It was done on equipment that was reasonably priced (except for the UM70S): The Mics were SM57/58 and a Gefell UM70S for drums OH and Vocal. I used a Roland digital Mixing Board with 8 sends and 8 returns to/from my computer. The keyboards were recorded as MIDI and played back using Maestro Grand (Also free).

http://www.lucidtwist.com/Default.aspx?Content=Listen

Cubase SX was extremely reliable during the whole process, and made the lining up of parts (Bass/Drums) child's play.

You'll also get to hear my cruddy bass playing ;)

- A

8. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Ampex 1" 8 track at 15 I.P.S.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    being experienced on a particular product is important; for me this was key. i have used Cakewalk products for a handful of years, including Home Studio and Guitar Tracks Pro 2. i bought Guitar Tracks 3 and loved it even more. then i decided i wanted a full on software app that could handle MIDI and everything else, so i downloaded demos of everything. i even have Cubase that shipped with my sound card which i really wanted to make work since it was free to me. but i was just so used to working in the Cakewalk interface and i wasnt able to handle on Cubase quickly. So i wound up getting Sonar 4 and love every minute of it.

10. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I have been using cubase sx 2.0 for about a year now, I like it. I use a MOTU 896 and an A/H board and I mix using a standard mouse.