1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best small power amp to pair with VT Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by uaudio, Apr 9, 2010.

1. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Like many of you, I use the VT Bass. When the VT Deluxe comes out, it could very easily replace my entire preamp section. Right now I use a TC RH450 and seem to leave it flat most shows as I fall ever so much more madly in love with the pedal.

If I decided to do this and have my gain and preamp section handled by a pedal, I'd like to add a small/light power amp to drive my cabinet(s). Somewhere around 500W @ 8ohm would be okay.

Any recommendations? Anyone doing this now?

Edit: I'd probably pair it with a DB 212 or something mid enhanced like that.

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I use a Sadowsk preamp directly into the FX return of my RH450 and it works great. You could do the same thing with your VT Deluxe. It bypasses the preamp in the RH450 so you get a really powerful amp to push your cabinet with, and you could still use just the rh450 when you wanted.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the only commercial one i know of that's not rackmount size is the swr amplite. you could take a look at www.putnamguitars.com though. he does a vt mod where he can take your whole pedal and mount it and one of those icepower amp modules in a box and make a head out of it. or you can just get the amp in a box. haven't heard the icepower amps myself, but all the amp designers say power is power as long as it's not distorting within human hearing range.

4. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    I think the RH450 works just great as your poweramp, you can send the signal to FX return if you do not want to go through its preamp. The Amplite would probably be just about perfect to you, but since it's new, it's not really available second hand yet and you would not save any money with that switch. Besides, you have a built-in tuner on your amp now :) Also, if anything should happen to your VT, you can use the preamp of RH450 as the immediate backup.

5. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I've been throwing around the same idea.
    Given the fact the RH450 isn't cheap $ I can't see it being practical to just use it as a power amp. I'd say most of it's cost is tied up in the preamp features.

I've considered:
    LittleMark II with the VT pedal OR Power amp with VT pedal.

Will the VT pedal have a hot enough signal to run straight into a power amp?? Using a passive Precision.

With going the Littlemark II route I'd have a smaller sized set up and using the simple LMII eq as an option as opposed to running straight into it's power amp.

If I went the traditional rack sized Power amp route I'd have a larger sized set up and possibly heavier depending on brand and model. A longer warranty than the MarkBass 2 years,assuming I went new. And more power options with a power amp.

Any input...opinions?

6. fwiw I use my LMII mostly as a power amp. I get the bulk of my tone shaping from my SABDDI. I use the LMII's EQ solely as a room compensator to boost or cut and nasty frequencies. . . I couldn't be happier w/ the sound (and size) of my rig .. .

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I don't think the VT can drive a poweramp alone. It's meant more as an FX pedal at instrument level than a preamp.

8. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    i use it to drive the power amp section of a svt3pro all day... and its loud as hell.

9. Per the manufacturer, the pedal can be used as a pre into a power amp.

Mike

10. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One of those new SWR amplites could also be a super portable light option. They're supposed ot be about 4lbs.
    Or just use the TC as a power amp or "2nd" channel for different sounds.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    this dood.

12. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I've used my VT pedal to drive my Crown XTI 1000 ...had to make-up a custom cord " 1/4 inch to XLR mic" .... worked just fine ... load as hell !!!! ...use it to drive my Bassman 1200 via the FX in and it drove the bats out of hell !!!! ...that pedal will drive any well designed power amp ... IMHO

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a 12LB peavey DPC 1000 1u poweramp. Its still pretty large as its deep (but still short).

Personally, if I were you I'd just scoop up a used LMII as they are a fairly loud 500w and 6LBS. Bypass the preamp section if you like. However, the LMII is a fairly flat sounding amp so even if you didnt bypass you'd likely get mostly the VT Bass tone. Plus, its never a bad thing to have more EQ options. I would never run the VT Bass alone with a poweramp since it has no high-mids, low-mids and the bass eq is set at 125HZ which is too high IMO.

If you combined the VT Bass with a micro amp like the LMII you'd have everything you need AND it would be fairly cheap and light.

One other reason: VT Bass + poweramp = no DI. To me a DI is a necessity.

My .02

14. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Hmmmm...hows bout the VT and a Carvin BX500?

15. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I use mine with a GK 800RB, GK 2000RB, and an Ashdown ABM 500 and it works into their pre-amps and into the effects returns as well. I like Iron though. I have not used it with a micro chip-amp though, nor do I have an interest to.

If I were to go with a power amp, it would be a Crest CA4 or CA6

16. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm thinking about going this route.

question: When you have your bass running through the VT Bass pedal, when it is switched "off" do you still get a "driven" clean signal to the poweramp. Or must the pedal be switched "on" to be able to drive the amp?

If it must be switched on: is it possible to have a completely clean signal from the VT Bass?

17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I don't remember except it passes a signal when "off". I use a passive bass. None of the controls work. I think it is for getting unity gain.
    I just run it into the front end of the amp.

18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If by 'clean' you mean no distortion/drive/grit, yes it can do that. If by clean you mean no colour, no it has an inherent colour you can not dial out.

I only use mine set at clean/no grit settings and I am very happy with the tone.

19. Same deal here...main head is a RH450,

I got the VT pedal as a gift, and got one of the new Peavey IPR1600 amp for the band. The Amp didn't work out as a monitor amp so I pluged the VT right into the amp and..BOOM...instant SVT rig.

very happy to call this backup rig mine.

IPR1600 @ 7lbs ~ Rated Power
    (2 x 2 ohms) - 800 watts per channel
    (2 x 4 ohms) - 530 watts per channel
    (2 x 8 ohms) - 300 watts per channel

20. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I noticed that he calls it the "Jimmy MOD", you should get an endorsement deal! :D