Best tube rig with a 4x10 for under 1k?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Don Ernesto, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Don Ernesto

Don Ernesto

Oct 31, 2003
    I'm looking for a new amp, I play anything from Goldfinger to Thursday to Saves The Day. I have a Fender Jazz and a MM Stingray. I'm looking for a great bang for the buck amp, I'd prefer tube, maybe old Ampeg or something. But I would like a 4x10 cab to go with it because I love the punchy sound you can get with them. Thanks for help guys.
  2. dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    IMO, you won't be able to get enough tube power(300 watts) and a good 4x10 for less than $1K unless you go used. If you want to go new only, then Peavey or Carvin are your best bet. Run that rig for a couple years while you're saving for your Eden WT800, Mesa 400+ or Ampeg SVT rig. Good luck!
    <smiles> dD
  3. billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    How about going with a tube preamp and solid state power? Much of the tube "tone shaping" happens in the preamp, so you might be fine like that.

Most of the amps and separates that have tubes are going sell for, or add up to over a grand though.
    Under a grand you might have to stick to solid-state.
  4. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark

I sometimes run a 410hlf with an Ampeg SVT, sounds great, but pretty heavy, though I think most tube amps sounds better with larger cabs. Most 4x10 cabs doesn't handle the mighty tube sound quite as good and some tube amps cannot run 8 ohms. I think you're better off with someting more suitable for a 4x10, I would suggest something like Ashdown, they simulate that warm old-school tone pretty well. good luck ;)
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Take a look at the new Mesa Boogie stuff. They have a combo - think it is called the M Pulse (about $1100). It is not a 4x10 - but the sound is amazing - or the Scout (smaller, but cheaper and worth a listen).
  6. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You're gonna have to go used if you want anything under 1000. I'd reccomend the Mesa 400+. Sounds really good for punk and hardcore. Robby from Autopilot Off uses one and I still envy his tone. As for a cab. I'd say if you truly want to stay under a 1000, go with Avatar. If you want quality, go with SWR. My Goliath Sr was an amazing cabinet and I waa gonna get a Mesa 400+ before I sold them to go GK.