1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best USB interface device to work with audacity (PC)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TinyE, Mar 23, 2013.

1. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    i tried search, and couldn't find anything, though i'm positive this has been run through before.

what do you guys do to stream audio into your pc (not mac)?
    i'd like to use audacity (i'm very familiar with it), but am also open to other software.

i saw the line 6 UX stuff, but was thinking there must be a lower entry idea.

my current soundcard (realtek) doesn't seem to work with streaming audio in, in either the line in or mic jacks.

thanks!

2. Rafescow

Rafescow

Oct 21, 2009
    Pc line ins will always be worse for recording your instrument because they weren't made to work with high impedance coming from an instrument.
    That being said, I record with a M-Audio Fast Track USB, one of the most affordable interfaces out there (around US$100 new), and it's great (click here for some audio recorded with it). Has one input for instrument and mic each, and one output for headphones. My recording software is Cubase, it has a lot more resources than Audacity. I'd suggest you to try something more profissional, be it Cubase, Pro Tools (which comes in a CD with M-Audio USB Fast Track by the way), Sonar, Logic Pro, Nuendo, Mixcraft... there's a big list!
    These are not free softwares, but you can find cracked versions out there. I won't post any link to download them because of the rules :bag:

3. For a long time I used an Alesis multimix 8 (usb 2.0) that worked great. Came bundled with cubase, which I like. It was about 250, might be cheaper now. If you're going to pay 100 for a one input interface, why not pony a little extra for the extra inputs and the semi pro level software?

I used audacity before cubase myself and its pretty good, but having true software opens up a lot of doors.

4. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    Nice work, Rafescow. You really nailed that Marcus tone/technique on Bruce Lee. Did you use any plug-ins or are you running direct?
    Was the same setup used for your drum cover on Are you in?

5. Wagz

Wagz

May 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just about anything that connects to your computer via USB will work with Audacity.
    I've used the M-Audio Fast Track, a Tascam US-122 (I do a bit with MIDI so they're a nice all-in-one solution for my laptop), a Blue Snowball USB mic, even a Rockband USB mic, and my Zoom 2.1u.
    The Zoom multi-effect pedals are a really good value if you don't need to record vocals - you get a tuner, a boatload of effects and cabinet models, a practice device you can use w/o an amp, and a USB interface (and it comes with a copy of CuBase). All for around $150.

6. I recommend an M-Audio Fast Track.

7. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I use a Lexicon Omega personally. There are many, many devices out there that will do the job. More money gets your more inputs and (hopefully) better quality, but even the $100 devices sound very good. Just search for "USB Audio Interface" on the web or at your favorite music retailer. Most interfaces work with most software.

8. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl

I was looking at the Zoom for that very reason, a great bang for the buck. Would recording vocals or e-drums be more bass heavy and can this be EQ'd out, or would an M-audio w/ free plug-ins be a better choice?

The Zoom is approx the same price used as an M-audio new and the Korg PX5 is about 120 used, I don't like the non-footswitch feature of the Korg but having owned a PX4 in the past the sound quality was great.

9. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    +1

thanks all!
    i just needed a few things to look up. this is great!