1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best way to fix this myself? Pics

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by strummer21, May 1, 2010.

1. I just got this Ibanez AGB140 Semi-Hollowbody bass and after cleaning it up and putting on a new jack plate cover this is the only cosmetic issue left. Looks like the veneer is chipped away from the wood and a small chunk is missing. What is the best way to fix this myself without having it professionally done? It doesn't have to be perfect, just repaired so it isn't very noticable. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    where's the pic? doing a lacquer or poly drop fill may be the quickest and easiest. will know more with pic

3. I did a search on these forums but couldn't find an example of this type of repair w/ pictures. Anybody have a link to either pictures of a repair (before and after) or a video of the process step by step?

Thanks.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    goto youtube and try acoustic top repair, you may get a hit. Maybe someone here will have pics for you, I can give you a step by step if it comes to that, but not much for pics.

5. ckngumbo

ckngumbo

Jan 26, 2009
  6. Thanks for the link, but I have done a ton of searching and I still can't find any veneer repair on a guitar top. I have a Rockler woodworking store nearby and am going to bring the bass there and see what they recommend. I'm assuming it will be to stain the exposed maple and then fill it with some clear stuff and sand it to blend. Does that sound like what a luthier would do? P.S.- I don't have the chipped piece of veneer that is missing so I can't glue it back in.

7. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Bring a salt shaker.