1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Better off forgetting electric guitar for awhile?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by joegrant413, Dec 28, 2016.

1. joegrant413

joegrant413

Dec 6, 2009
    Hey folks,

You've probably heard this kind of thing a million times, but here it goes... I played guitar since I was a kid, and started playing bass in 2009 for the worship team. It's worked out just fine, I always enjoy the practice and playing of the bass, and the bands have been happy to have me play. No doubt I've performed bass publicly more often in my life than other instruments, including acoustic and electric guitar, clarinet, and sax.

Along with my bass playing, I've kept playing electric guitar. Have taken lessons, and put about half my time into guitar, half into bass. I enjoy guitar, but often have this monkey quietly lurking on my back saying feeling it represents a bridge that was always too far -- something I could never quite do well enough. And that's been the case for years now.

Should I treat the electric guitar like a bad romance... and break it off for awhile just to get over it? Again, I enjoy guitar. Don't enjoy the ego trips I put myself into with it.

Best wishes,
    - Joe

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Playing another instrument, proficiently or not, can only help your understanding of music. Maybe try the piano?

Ghastly likes this.
  3. joegrant413

joegrant413

Dec 6, 2009
    Funny you say that. I have a keyboard, and learning piano is on my bucket list.

Thanks

4. No reason to NOT play guitar. But play it less, and make it fun.

It's probably The Ghost of Teachers' Past stirring the guilty feelings. Or the unrealistic expectations we burdened ourselves with some time ago. It's crazy what lingers on in our subconscious years/ decades later.

Deal with it now.... Ignoring it won't work, it'll still be there years later. I've been there - I had years of lessons on piano, euphonium, voice and guitar. Probably why I love playing bass so much!!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Ghastly likes this.
  5. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    :woot:Sell everything and focus on trombone. Chicks dig trombone players!:woot:

5544, ak56, Jeff Scott and 2 others like this.
  6. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't have the long history with guitar that you do. Just a few years supporting an ex girlfriend who wanted to start back up as rehabilitation. After my church needed someone on bass I stepped up and now spend my musical time increasing those skills. Should the ex girlfriend need a playing partner I would bring my bass and not a second guitar

7. joegrant413

joegrant413

Dec 6, 2009
    Just an update.... on electric guitar, the current thing I'm taking on is "Surfing with the Alien," by Joe Satriani. I only practice every other day, and in about a month or so, I'm just now getting down the first rhythm phrase, and the first lead phrase.

In other words, I'm taking my time, trying not to pressure myself to go faster than it takes to get comfortable with the material. At this rate, I might get the song learned by 2020 or so. But if I have fun and can play it -- and keep enjoying bass -- why not?

8. Wow, tackling Satriani?
    You can't be too bad.

Old Blastard likes this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I knew a girl many years ago who would back that statement up.

As to the OP's question, keep playing both, they are both worthy instruments (just don't let certain guitarists catch wind of this..............).

10. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Instead of aimlessly just trying to play the bars note for note, figure out what key the song is in, then memorize the scale it is based on. Once you have the basics down, you will be able to apply the knowledge to both guitar and bass.

11. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

I think if there's any such thing as a wrong reason not to play an instrument, it's feeling like you aren't capable of it. Of course you're capable of it! You're awesome. Go you.

That said, if you just aren't really feeling it, that's all the reason you need not to play it, or to restrict your playing to when it feels good.

Focus on what you want. Whatever you pick will be fine.

--^@

12. joegrant413

joegrant413

Dec 6, 2009
    Appreciate the feedback, folks.

What happens with me and electric guitar is I greatly enjoy it, and get some kudos from some other folks. Had a few months playing at church, with wildly mixed results. The most discouraging feedback came from a couple of guitarists. So I switched to bass, which has always been fun. And frankly it was good to step out of the relative limelight.

That was eight years ago. Ever since then, I practice guitar one night, bass the next. BTW, I know scales and a lot of stuff from years of work.

Thx

13. joegrant413

joegrant413

Dec 6, 2009
    One other thing.... about 8 months ago I really got into Kenny Werner's, "Effortless Mastery." That's why I focus on going slow, and doing best to do well at each little chunk.

About a year ago, I asked a long-time friend and guitar instructor to check out my playing. His feedback was lukewarm at best. And he suggested re-learning my fingerings using Bill Leavitt's system. With due respect to his recommendations, I'm not going there. I believe my biggest issues don't have to do with technique, but in how to learn, listen, and play what I play well with minimal headgames.