Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

better than stingray...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zoran, Nov 3, 2004.

1. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Stingray players... Have you ever gasing for some better bass than stingray, or should I say different... I try to say that I really like stingray sound but let's just say I am little bored with its only one sound, I need something more versatile and want to change that Fender feel and go more hi-fi and modern. I didn't try many basses, few warwicks and yamahas (trb bolt-on very fine sounding). I would also like more low mids in my sound which I consider stingray is missing.

So, can you help me where to look at?

2. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    try Ernie Ball bongo, zon sonus 4/1 or status.
    i heard zon on faith no more 6 years ago and i cant forget this sound its one of the best sounding bass played live.

i played status and i like his hi fi sound (i want one but to expensive)it has more sounds than zon couse 2 pups.

i belive that this two basses sounds so cool because they have graphite necks.

3. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I think you're just missing a neck pickup.

For example try something like a G&L 2000 with a neck and bridge humbucker.

4. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
  5. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'd go for a Bongo or if you can find an old Sabre. But I'm really into MusicMan.

G&L's are great in all regards, except for their pre-amp. It's way too treblely for me. They are great in passive mode. If you want more of a tradional sound, check out the G&L SB-2.

6. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
  7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I agree about Bongoes.
    I`ve just got my Stingray and had the chance to play a Bongo last weekend. I could get the Stingray sound plus a lot of variations (that 4 band Eq is superb). It`s lighter, has a slimmer neck profile and played much easier. I`d also reccomend a Peavey Cirrus if you like hi fi sound basses.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    [​IMG]

Any question about what I think?

9. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Holy Jeebus man, thats insane!!!

and I am jealous....;)

10. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    holy mackeral those are beautiful...
    is there a difference between the two fivers other than color?
    they look pretty similary to me but maybe that have diff. preamps or something. I've always thought that the bongo shape looks best as a five string. I think its that the wider neck/pups/pickguard make the body look smaller and make it look like it fits more. I dont know, buy you're definitely a lucky man!