Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beyond the magic bullet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 22, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Any Kennedy conspiracy fans out there? Have you seen the Discovery Channel segment "Beyond the Magic Bullet"? It's pretty amazing in many ways, especially the part about Anatomical Surrogate Technologies in Adelaide, Australia. In the show, they actually did 3-d computer reconstructions of the entire set of events, and aligned them with the Zapruder film. They went so far as to identify an individual behind the wall on the grassy knoll, as a "man with short hair and glasses". They found an original box of original ammo for the Mannlicher-Carcano rifle, and test-fired it into a replica of a human being, as well as a block of wood (into which it penetrated more than a meter, some 42 inches, and emerged in relatively pristine condition). The big question still seems to be the trajectory of the "magic bullet", that curved in mid-air and delayed itself by several seconds between the time it hit Kennedy and time it hit Connally. Any thoughts?

(Disclaimer: keep in mind that political content is verboten here in OT, so let's focus on the evidence). :)

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Woops!

I thought you were going to reveal a product much better than the "Magic Bullet" of infomercial fame. We bought one, and we love it.

-Mike

3. this just reminds me of Interview with the assasin

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm not all convinced that Oswald acted alone, nor to I believe too much in conspiracies. This goes for the two other major assasinations in the '60s (RFK and MLK).

5. Why couldn't Oswald have acted alone?

One lone nutball with a vendetta has killed a president before. (James A. Garfield- Charles Guiteau)

6. I think most people who raise questions about LHO acting alone mostly point to the incredible difficulty of his shooting accurately while maintaining the rate of fire demonstrated in the Zapruder tape. I've heard people say it's possible to do it with the rifle he had, I've heard others insist that the thing would have jammed up. The magic bullet theory also raises a lot of eyebrows, I'm sure.

I can't say I'll ever be able to form an opinion of what really went down - I'm sure it's not incredibly hard to twist the evidence in either direction. It's very interesting stuff, though.

Am I mistaken, or is the government still withholding their report on the matter? I can't remember when they were planning to release it.

7. Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

I believe that all all of the paperwork/evidence, internal documents, etc has been sealed until mid century (not sure about the date). The official report on the matter (the Warren Commission report) has been out and is available at your public library. It's decently interesting to read, if a bit long.

Mike

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX

I think they actually decided it was a remarkably intricate suicide. :eyebrow: :rollno: :scowl: :bag:

9. I was actually referring the documents discussed in the movie "JFK." As I'm sure you know, it's pretty difficult to separate any facts in that movie from stuff Oliver Stone may have just made up. I was curious as to whether anyone on the forum knew if this was true or not. From what I can gather myself, it seems virtually all the documents in question have been declassified at this point.

I'm not honestly sure how to approach your response. I'm not sure if you were messing around or being snide...

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    According to Vince Bugliosi (probably one of the more intensive researchers in this area, at least lately), there are currently more than 2 million pages of declassified government investigation that's pubicly available. There's also some stuff that isn't publicly available, and won't be for a long time.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Nearly any time that I post anything on the internet, if there is a way to see it as bitterly cynical, horribly sarcastic, deeply contemptuous of my fellow human, and maybe somewhat humorous...that's probably the safest bet. I occasionally put serious answers on here, but the odds are generally against that.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    We will never know for sure what happened. If someone that actually knew the facts came forward and said "this is exactly what happened"... who would believe him?

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Of course not. And that's the best part.

Yhe Kennedy assassination has become the be-all and end-all for conspiracy buffs. Who would want to throw that away?

I like the version that one of my patients told me from a book that I can't remember the title of at the moment. Kennedy was killed by a Tibetan holy man who lives underneath Dealey Plaza, the Dealey Lama.

14. This is just one of those things that boggles my mind. Along with Rozwell, as well as a tonne of other things. I was thinking the other day: imagine if you could be the President of the United States for one week all the information you could learn. The Cold War alone would keep me busy for that week.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

"There has to have been a second spitter!" -Jerry Seinfeld

16. "Back and to the left. Back and to the left." :D

Great episode.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I just changed my sig to an approximation of the post I made up there ^^^.