Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bi-A.M.P'd!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by watspan, Feb 16, 2006.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    What to do on a snow day? set up a bi-amped AMP rig:eek:

AMP BH-420 w/ crossover set around 250 for the low freq. into the bottom firing 15 of the ampeg pr1528he
    AMP BH-250 sending the tope end into the 2x8 +horn section of the ampeg pr1528he.

extra credit for putting different effects into the high freq section only (can you say no loss of bottom end!)

Admittedly impractical (and takes a few patch cords!) but fun to try!

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Done similar with my 1832 (18, two 10, two 6, tweeter horn), though crossing over at around 150 Hz, and with considerably more power into the 18 sub-cab to compensate for differences in efficiency.

3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    What did you use for amplifiers/crossover etc.? AMP equipment? my usual rig w/ the pr1528he is a hartke 5000 set in bi-amp mode but i can't insert any effects into the top half only.

4. arock

arock

Sep 16, 2005
    Verona, WI
    One word - HOT!

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Several crossovers and amps have been tried, best for me has been Rane DC24 comp/limiter/downwardexpandinggate/crossover and a Peavey DPC 1400X or a QSC PLX series - I like a lot of watts on the 18 especially. If I needed effects only on the top side I'd chain them directly after the crossover's highs output (I've always used effects that can deal with pro levels) and into that side of the power amp. Or I just ran the effects full range since the Rane can make bass loss a non-issue by compressing that side independently and with controlled levels.

But since a V-Bass is my preamp most of the time now and almost all of its effects have adjustable high pass built into them it's been a non-issue for me anyway...