1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bi-amp system clean tight low end

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony Hanks, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Tony Hanks

Tony Hanks

Nov 13, 2014
    I Just started using a Bi-amped system. my plan is to use my Gk 700RB(480w)and my GK CX410(800w) for my clean low end sound. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting a good tight but big sounding low end sound without potential blowing or hurting your speakers?

2. I do it with my effects split hi and lo blended, rather than haul extra amp and cab.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Buy or design the lowend speakers to have more available output than you'll need for your loudest situation. This will insure enough clean headroom/output.

That could be anything from folded horns to regular direct radiating boxes with enough speakers/excursion capabilities they'd be basically guaranteed to be operating well within their clean capabilities.

Depending on the output/extension needed, it may be no small task.

mbelue likes this.
  4. Tony Hanks

Tony Hanks

Nov 13, 2014
    Well my head is only pushing 480 at 4ohms and my cab is an 800w cab so ive been hoping thats enough headroom for me to push a big low end sound without damaging anything.

5. Yeah, can't beat horns for clean lows.

6. Tony Hanks

Tony Hanks

Nov 13, 2014
    I did this for awhile. but ive always liked the idea of bi-amping i believe it gives you alot more options to your sound. i like to use a real aggressive distorted sound alot of the times and wanted to beable to have that clean low undistorted sound mixed with it.

7. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    The 700rb isn't designed for true BiAmping. At least nothing that would give clean lows.
    For that the crossover has to be 200hz or below to allow the use of actual subwoofers.
    The 700rb/1001rb amplifiers have a fixed crossover frequency. Basically just for separating the tweeter from the rest of the signal.
    Useless for "clean lows".

8. Tony Hanks

Tony Hanks

Nov 13, 2014
    well ill try switch the amps and try using the tc RH450 for my low end sound.

9. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    OK I'm lost.
    What are you using as a crossover?
    What cabinets are you using besides the 410 mentioned in your original post?
    Truly though bass cabinets aren't designed around biamping. Maybe for doing the hi frequency side.

10. Are you using effects? Mind out for phase mismatching between the effected and non effected channels which changes as effects are engaged and disengaged.

Mismatch at the crossover can also happen between amplifiers, cabs too.

11. Tony Hanks

Tony Hanks

Nov 13, 2014
    i figured out what i was looking for from another thread. i realize i should have broke down what i was doing a little better at the start of the thread. as far as using the GK 700RB for a clean low end i will have to disagree with mbelue. i did some more research on it and after messing with the setting for about 15mins i now have a big boomy low end sound. that is matching great with my highend sound thats going through my tc RH450.

but as far as what my setup is. im running my bass into my pedalboard that splits into two signal chains then the distorted highend signal chain runs into my tc RH450 and my 1x15 hydrive. the second signal chain which is my clean low end sound is running into the GK 700RB and my GK CX410

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm not sure you really understand what biamping is.

Sounds like you want a clean amp tone, and a dirty amp tone, using two different amps.
    That's just using two different amps for two different tones.

mbelue likes this.
  13. Nikto

Nikto

Sep 24, 2014
    Slovakia
    roman cthulist
    I am using all-tube 50w guitar head hovercraft falcon as preamp and mid-range/high power amp (with engl 212 vertical cab)
    Ampeg svt 7 pro - for bass only.
    Nothing sounds better distorted than all-tube guitar amp.

14. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    +1
    I do the 2 amps sometimes. It does give a neat variation in tone.

True biamping requires preferably a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley adjustable crossover. Then you can run lows to one amp/cab and highs to another. I used to do this but haven't in quite a while. Too much sugar for a dime, generally.

15. Nikto

Nikto

Sep 24, 2014
    Slovakia
    roman cthulist