1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bi amping ampeg cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JellinWellen, Jun 12, 2014.

1. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    So I've been wanting to try bi amping my 4003 for awhile now. I currently run a rig with a VB-2 through an ampeg 810. I was wondering if I were to obtain a guitar head if I could bi amp both of them through the same 810. Due to the fact that the 810 cab can run the 410 halves separately (in stereo I believe). Would I gain anything out of this or would I need to use a guitar cab as well to really make the most out of it.

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Aagh! The old clean dirty ploy eh! Yup that would work as long as you feel that four tens will do enough clean bass with a VB2, if so you are good to go.:)

3. I say try the guitar amp through the 810. If it suits you on its own, then it might be a good option for this.

4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    The vb-2 shouldn't have any issues staying clean. Plus I wouldn't be able to push it as hard through a 410 anyway. I'll find a place that has a good return policy for the guitar head.

So if my 810 is taking a 4 ohm load in mono, will I need to be sending an 8 ohm load to the two halves?

5. Most 410's are 4 ohm and will be 8 ohm per half, that is each 410 "half cab" is 8 ohms and the entire cab is 4 ohms when used together. If you are getting PA support you will now need to mic both halves and use 2 input channels on the FOH mixing board...

"sending an 8 ohm load" is a poor choice of words, your stereo amp channels will need to support/work with an 8 ohm load applied to them (most do...). Another way to say this is your stereo amp channels will see an 8 ohm load with half of an 810 cab connected to each channel.

6. The cab doesn't take the load it is the load, the amp provides the power and takes/carries the load provided by the cab/driver(s).

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    This is the Ric-O-Sound thing where you have bridge and neck pickups going to separate amps. Not "biamping" in the traditional sense.

OP, you could run a separate amp into each half of your 810, provided it is wired like two completely separate, individual 410's when you do that, and provided both amps have an 8ohm output tap (assuming tube amps).

Could also do it with one, true 2-preamp channel amp, all into the one cab

bassmeknik likes this.
  8. It might make sense to just get a little 1x10 or 1x12 guitar combo instead of a head. Run the Peavey into the Ampeg and throw the combo on top for the color.

9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    I was thinking of doing this too. But I'm not sure the volume would be enough to match.

As for what I said earlier. What I'm trying to understand is: if I run my amp at 4 ohms into my 810. Would the two amps put into the separate halves of the 810 need to be set at 8 ohms?

10. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    My 810 is the Heritage model. There are two options with that cab: run the top four speakers @ 8 ohms or all 8 speakers at 4 ohms. Yours may be different - but it should say what the inputs do on the jack plate.

Running it as two 8 ohm 410 cabs will probably take some modding - in which case I would consider using less speakers for the guitar amp.

11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Oh I didn't know it was just the top 410 that was usable separate. I thought you could run each half independently or in stereo. Mine has 3 jacks on the back

12. Come to think of it my fridge is like this... 810 or 410 not 2 separate 410's.

13. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I just double checked the manual and it looks like I was mistaken.

It looks like if you are plugged into the top and the bottom, you can run two amps with one 410 each.

http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/SW0820_RevA_Heritage_SVT410HLF_SVT810E.PDF

14. Guitar frequencies (the same ones you are distorting) are very much louder, watt for watt, than bass. This is why we need giant rigs to keep up with 2x12 guitar amps.

15. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Good point, I never thought an AC15 could be so loud until I heard the one in my old band.

16. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Do you guys have any suggestions on a good guitar amp for this kind of setup? I know the brand gets a lot of flak but the bugera 1960 looks like a pretty solid head. Or maybe an old peavey classic 30-50 combo?

17. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Just an update, I'll be picking up a guitar amp locally tomorrow to try it out. I was just wanting to make sure that I need to run the amps at 8ohms when they are plugged into the separated 410s correct? Because I run my regular amp at 4ohms into the mono 810e.

18. Correct, but you're going to lose a whole lot of bottom end. Can't you find a guitar combo to stack on top?

19. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Are you sure? The VB-2 has a crazy amount of clean bottom on tap. I found a Bugera (yes THAT bugera) 1960 near me for real cheap at a shop. Good return policy, figured I have nothing to really lose except time, and I'm off work for the next week anyways.

20. Half the cab = half the bottom. There won't be much bottom in the top half running the guitar amp into grind.