Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Business

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:42jyeat64x87

Yins all check this out yet? It's pretty awesome. They opened for High on Fire. I heard their album Head for the Shallow, it's pretty awesome... I wasn't a huge fan, but after seeing them live... I'm a fan.

They are just bass and drums. The bassist Jared Warren had like two bass amps, and one crate guitar combo. Plus he was triggering this weird keyboard with his feet.

They are punkish, but in the Melvins sense of the word. They could have fit in the sludge punk era of the whole grunge movement.

Also, the guitarist in my band told me that they are going to tour with the Melvins and add to their rhythm section!! So it's going to be two bassist and two drummers with the Melvins! That's going to be insane, I gotta catch that.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

He does drop an F bomb at the beginning, and I apologize.

3. That's pretty wicked. I gotta see the thing with the Melvins, that'll be cool as hell.

EDIT:Are they on stonerrock?

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I didn't look on stonerrock, but I'm sure... because I read an interview with Jared (who use to be in Karp) and that was on Stonerrock.

5. No review of the show?

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, I wrote a blog about it (nerd), but I didn't feel it important enough to post on stonerrock:

I don't organize thoughts well

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I recently got Head For the Shallow, and I love it. Awesome stuff.

I like Joe Preston's sweet vintage Mockingbird.

8. Coolness. Big Business is pretty awesome.

I'd kill to see Sleep , Thrones(I don't even think this would be possible) or Earth live............gah

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Dude, King Bowman was almost set to OPEN FOR EARTH, considering it was pretty early in our careers and we still aren't perfect live... I'm glad we didn't... but I would have got to see earth fro free.

I wanted to talk to Joe after the show, but like I wrote, I was afraid I'd freeze up and not have much to say. But I really think he should do more thrones shows/albums.

10. It is correct, but with only one bassist... Kevin Rutmanis is no longer in The Melvins...

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Wait, whos playing bass for them now?

Cool Melvins trivia: Did you guys know that Lorax, the female bass player from Ozma era, is Shirley Temple's daughter?

12. Wow, I couldn't open for Earth , I'd die...............happy

13. That's.....inasne.....

14. I am listening to sperm whale right now.

15. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I just came back from seeing Earth AND Sunn O))) live.

I'm pretty sure I have no eardrums left anymore, whatsoever.

God that was amazing.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Awesome dude! That would be an amazing show.

If we would have opened for earth... I would have actually really regretted it. I'm a little ashamed of our live sound now, back when we had the chance... we kinda sucked. Earth would have came out and kicked our asses for being on their stage. :D

17. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    =D

Earth were utterly fantastic live - just held their trademark droney grooves for ages and ages. It was heaven.

Also their drummer's stool snapped midway through one song, which proved amusing for all.

Sunn O))) are just -EVIL- live. So painfully brutal, it's unreal.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Did Sunn do any vocal numbers? it took the night to believe has the coolest black metal vocals ever. "Cry yourself to ash" is one of the creepiest lyrics ever!! Whoa, I gotta add that to the best lyric thread. :D

Earth is just a duo right now right? That's so weird.

19. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Nah, Earth were a group of four.

And yes, after about an hour of their onslaught of noise and pain a vocalist who I didn't recognise strode onto stage wearing white and black face paint and a tattered imitation of Sunn's druid capes, and he stood very still front stage. Every so often admid the chaos he'd unleash an utterly evil (and terrifying) scream of a lyric into the microphone, before returning to standing deadly still. It sounded like "Cry yourself to ash", but was too hard to hear anything admit the earth shattered noise. =D

The vocal number stretched on for bloody ages as well, utterly superb. I don't even know if they did more than two songs tell the truth.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The vocalist might have been Xasthur aka Maleificient... he was suppose to tour with the band... they were playing a show together in Philly that was in a CHURCH! That would be horrifying.