Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

big muff?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 11, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    which is the reakl deal?

i mean, i went shopping today in buenos aires (im from uruguay, and there electroharmoinix doesnt even exist) and i saw more than 1 EH muff.......

which is the onw for the BASS, that one that sounds PHAT BIG NASTY and DIRTY, for an example, the last song in incubus SCIENCE i think its done with the one i want.

which is the model? and what i should look for when searching for one?

thancks!

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If you see more than one, just try them all, that's what I would do. I think the consensus is that the build quality is a bit better on the American built ones (versus the Russian ones). Different people like different things from their stomp boxes, so it's really whatever gets you the sound in your head.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    None of them are made especially for bass, they are all guitar pedals. There are (I think) five different models. Here's a breakdown:

1. Original Big Muff (USA) - Chances are this isn't one of the ones you saw, as I think it's rare. But it has a warm sound to it, and isn't true bypass.

2. Green Sovtek Big Muff (Russia) - This thing is huge, and green. It has a really harsh sound. It's kind if an 'extreme' distortion.

3. USA Reissue Muff - I have this one. It's also got a warm sound to it, it's true bypass, and by your descroption, it's probably the one you want. It can do a wide range of sounds.

4. Russian Reissue Muff - This is black, and more harsh than the American reissue. I don't know much about this one.

There's also one called the 'English Muff'n' but I don't think it's available yet.

If I've given you some incorrect information, I'm sure someone here will be able to correct me, like for example, the King of Muff, tplyons.

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Graeme,

Close, very close.

The Big Muff family tree can be broken into two main categories: Big Muffs and variants. Big Muffs were made in both the USA and Russia (under the Sovtek name)

The USA Big Muff Pi was made in a bent steel enclosure, and endured a couple of graphic changes, but always had the same basic case, layout and circuit. The Original Big Muff Pi came out in the 70's and was a very popular fuzz.

The USA Reissue Big Muff Pi is nearly identical in appearance but has an LED indicator and are true bypass. These tend to be rather smooth in tone (according to my experience) and are the best for a smooth fuzz for a bass IMO.

Then, there are the Sovteks. There is the older, green model which was built like a tank and very harsh, used by the likes of Cliff Burton of Metallica for that signature tone.

The newer black Sovtek Big Muff Pi is quite harsh, and doesn't contain a power adapter, nor is it true bypass.

There have also been many effects based on the Big Muff Pi, but once again, there has never been a bass specific Muff. I personally modify every Muff I've owned for added bass response, but as far as the variants, there is the Little Big Muff, Deluxe Big Muff, Double Muff, and the brand new English Muff'n with 12AX7 Preamp tubes. I'll have one of these soon.

I have a better description somewhere, let me dig around to find it.

5. Don't for get the Muff Fuzz and the LPB-1!

I had a Muff Fuzz that never worked for more than 5 minutes correctly. It sounded great every once in a while. (back when I digged that sort of thing :) ) The LPB was a great sounding little thing. I don't think it did what it was supposed to do. It was about the size of the Muff Fuzz and it stuck into the input jack of your amp. The in was quarter inch female and the out was quarter inch male!

[​IMG]

Edit:

I found this picture of an LPB-1, and in new condition, it came with an adaptor, mine was hard wired- but it was definately a fuzz rather than a line signal boost.
    [​IMG]

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was only counting the stompboxes ;)

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    well im back in uruguay and didnt get anything,. but if im ordering some stuff from musiciansfriend.com or music123.com, which one would you recomend me and why?

i can see a Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff Pi and a Electro-Harmonix Double Muff Fuzz , remember i want the fat PHAT tone

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    also, all muffs i heard were payed with a warwick, and i use a jazz bass (`77), so maybe to get so fat ill need a pre before the muff, right? i hava a sansamp bass drive, what about it?

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I have a russian Big Muff reissue and I think it is less harsh than the US series. THe Russians never sound the same because of the loose parts regulation there so it's kinda like rolling the dice when going for a Russian model

10. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    "American components! Russian components! All made in TAIWAN!!!" - Cosmonaut Andropov

:D

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The Big Muff is such a monster that I think you'll get a big sound out of it regardless of whether your signal is active or passive. You might need to adjust the knobs on it a bit, but I think you'll be fine.

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I would get the USA made Big Muff simply because of build quality and the fact the new one have true bypass. Besides, from my doodling arounds, the "harshness" in Cliff Burtons sound doesn't come so much from the Muff but from the wah he used.

Besides, it's my opinion that every bassists foray into the world of distortion/fuzz/overdrive pedals should start with a little bit of Muff!

But that's just this open man's opinion. ;)

Ted

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For the first question, personally I prefer music123.com, but it's because ground shipping gets to me in a day and they take Paypal. On the other hand, I don't think either of those would prove useful to you, so for you, customer service is about even. Either store will work great for you if they ship internationally, I'm not too sure there.

As far as the USA Big Muff Pi vs. Double Muff, surely go with the Big Muff. Not only am I wearing a Big Muff Tshirt right now, but this box simply has much more control, and contains the sound you're looking for I believe. You can get a very PHAT tone from a USA Big Muff, but since each one sounds a little bit different, you may have to play with the knobs a bit.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I run all my basses straight into Big Muff's for great tone. Both active and passive.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Russions do have a bit of a variance, as do the Americans (believe me, I've owned about a dozen LOL) and I find that GENERALLY the Russians were more harsh, but I've owned a very mellow Russian and a very Harsh American.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Great quote!

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The first is a USA RI Big Muff, the second is a Black Russian Big Muff, the third is a Double Muff Fuzz, and the fourth is a Double Muff Fuzz that's been returned to Musician's Friend. The closest to Cliff's would probably a USA Reissue, but you're going to have to play with the knobs. Like said by Tedintheshed, the harshness REALLY comes from Cliff's wah. A USA Reissue comes very close however IMO.