1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big Problem with Potentiometer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crispygoat, Feb 28, 2008.

1. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    After asking and reading about pots problem, I have tried everything (even bought that lub) so I decided to open the amp... now It seems like the pot is loose.. the thing helding the pot seems loose.. it just pushes in.. and everything seems loose but doesn't seems to be that way with the other pots... any help with that ? I could post pictures if needed... ! Even the part of the pot where the nut is supposed to be seems loose !

Please :help: :crying:

2. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    well you guys are funny..

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Knock it off guys, this isn't OT. :eyebrow:

Thread title edited to head of this juvenile stuff.

4. sounds like you need a whole new pot sodderd on. maybe take it to a music store/shop?

5. Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I'm weak when it comes to posting before I think.

6. Need more information. What is the problem you are experiencing? I take it you have a pot loose somewhere? Did you pop the knob off and tighten the nut or is their something more to this?

7. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    Well since a week or so the "gain" knob was making a weird sound whenever I was turning it. I've read and asked and been told that the pot was dirty... So I bought the Tuner Cleaner and sprayed some on the knob. Still did not work. The pot seemed loose so I tried to screw the nut tighter.. accidently I took it out.. and now the part where you screw the nut seems loose too. So I opened it and well, the steel plate for the tube is in the way, but the back of the pot, whatever is supposed to held it seems a bit loose compared to the others.. Now the nut won't really go back in since the other part is also moving and well the pot / knob won't move correctly.. budges..

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Some pics would in fact help. It is possible that the pot has actually disintegrated. A close look would help come up with a repair plan.

9. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    replace it or haveit done and go on.

10. Hi.

+10 for the pics.

Pots are seldom repaired as there's a slim chance that it works afterwards for any longer period of time. I've repaired some on the spot, where the tabs that hold the can (the back part) came loose. That was out of the necessity as some equipment was damaged by rough handling and the two options were no-show or a quick repair.

Some high end sliders and pots can be disassembled and repaired, but unless it's a really special and/or hard to get part I'd replace it with a new one.

Better yet, get it replaced by a good tech.

You mentioned tubes. You do know how to bleed the caps, how to work safely, etc.
    Applies obviously to SS as well as tube amps.

Regards
    Sam

11. You don't spray the knob you spray inside the pot itself. What is the amp and where is Hearst?? Questions questions

Paul

12. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    This sounds like a replacement job. Just get a new pot and solder it on. If you're not handy with a soldering iron, any amp repair tech can do this for you.