Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Dickens is really fast.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Llama's Rage, Dec 29, 2004.

1. I just thought I would share.

DAMN he is fast.

2. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    you bet! A great player!

3. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    yeah but dont you think he realy sounds sh*t when he goes fast? his tone is terrible he always gets this fieldy type clack clack sound. otherwise he is pretty good.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i think his slapping stuff sucks ass

his finger style playing is really, really nice and very melodic

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've heard bill dickens in person numerous times and i think his tone is great.

as for sounding "sh!t" there's nothing that bill dickens does that sounds like excrement. it may not be your thing, but to call it by nature bad is confusing the subjective and the objective.

6. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    Not only is he a really great bassist, but I believe him to be a good teacher too. I have bought tons of instructional videos and none of them have given me better descriptions of techniques than the complete collection of Bill 'buddha' Dickens. I'd recommend it to anybody in a heartbeat.

7. +1- his videos are great. What impresses me about his playing is how cleanly he slaps, especially on that tightly-spaced (for me) bass & with his stubby little (again, for me, when compared to my Wicked-Witch-of-the-West digits)fingers! Ferilldo!

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Having not heard any of Bill Dickens work, and not basing this statement on his work, I'd just like to say, "Fast is overrated."

9. When he's not being gratuitous, he is a great player.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    these threads always suck. I wish I could stop clicking on them.

11. I've heard that somewhere!

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I saw a dude on Leno playing the guitar with an egg beater... he was fast.

13. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    "Having not heard any of Bill Dickens work, and not basing this statement on his work, I'd just like to say, "Fast is overrated" but this topic is about bill dickens isn't it?bill not only play's fast but clean with alot of skill and musicality.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would still second this feeling, after listening to a lot of the stuff he did.
    When he goes into mindless wanking mode, all he produces is some gargling that IMHO doesn't have much to do with music.
    But yeah, he is fast. Indeed.
    The kind I'd shoot just to watch him die. :)

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Anybody notice that somebody who looked a hell of a lot like Dickens playing drums for Snoop Dogg on the MTV New Years Show? Wasn't Dickens originally a drummer?

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This thread's intial statement was just about how fast he was, not how clean/melodic he was. Fast is just a technique, fast and clean is good technique... melody/feel is an artform.

From what I've heard of Bill Dickens, he's the bee's knees, but just as a general statement, fast is overrated.

17. Sorry, but who does Bill Dickens play for, and what are some good songs for me to check out?

:bag:

18. he is mostly a solo act, you can check out his site if you want,

Clicky

19. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I just wish he would finally release that solo album... :meh: