1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bill Dickens

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Apr 23, 2006.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    He takes a nice idea and ruins it by wanking.

3. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Tight video... nice find.

4. While he's an absolute monster and has taken slap to a new technical level - it's really naff musically - I respect his skills but it's kind of a one trick pony vibe that isolates this stuff into the the 'music for bassists' category that's realy only going to appeal to folks who like excessively fast slap bass.. if that's what you dig then cool.

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Can someone please teach the guy some TASTE?

Thankyou.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have to agree on this one! I like BD but that mile-a-minute speed slapping is so non-musical, at least to my ears! I'll take a Larry Graham, Louis Johnson, David Dyson or Marcus Miller any day of the week over BD! The guy can play for sure and I'd really like to hear some more really 'musical' playing from him! In fact from all bassists! The worst part is.....somebody is gonna come along who can do it even faster! Gah!

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I have to say that most people who get to see a video or hear Bill,it's during performances like the video above.Bill can actually play incredible grooves and very tastefully.I have seen Bill in various musical setting and genera's and he really is one of the best his versatility really is top notch.Bill has done R&b,Pop,Jazz,stage plays,recording sessions etc.He just come of the road with Folk Soul artist Terry Callier and he's a member of the Gospel group Walt Whitman and the Soul children.

And for those who may be interested Bill is giving a master class today at Columbia college(Chicago)with drummer Frank Donaldson at 3pm.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Thanks Jauquo-i think i'm going to see if there's a cost associated with said master class & which of the Columbia buildings it is in. I live in a dorm w/CCC students.

Edit: i don't know if you'll get this in time/check this thread, but could you post/PM me the details of the master class? I checked the Columbia College Website in addition to Bill's site and couldn't find any reference to this.

take it easy.

9. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Wow. I agree that there's not much musicality left when you take away all of the 'stuff.' I'd rather hear Victor do his thing. I do give Bill props for his technical prowess.

I'm still glad I had a chance to see it either way.

10. Hi J - it's nothing personal against Bill - he's wicked man - but I am slightly shocked that Terry Callier would hire him as I'm a massive Callier fan and know what a rootsy bass gig that is - anyway the point is that we never seem to hear or see Bill in a mellower, tasteful context - I'm sure he can groove his ass off and solo with great skill and subtlety - it's just that I personally have yet to hear it. I believe you when you and others tell us how soulful and groovy he is - and yet I haven't heard a single recording or performance to this end.

Please Mr Dickens - make a really great album that really puts your stuff in a musical setting - we all know you have more chops than all of the other chops monsters put together...but enough already.

With Respect

Mike

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Agreed. Does he have an album out? Also, no one is to blame for Bill's wanker image except Bill himself.

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Didn't I read somewhere that Victor Wooten considers Bill Dickens the best in the world?

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Bill is close to finishing up his CD.Most of the complaints about Bill's Image is from people who only make mention of that aspect of his Image/playing(the video above is from the Jan 06 NAMM show where aspects of that type of playing is expected and encouraged).

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Don't be shocked,Terry hires Bill because Bill gives him just what he wants.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Bill is an brilliant, musician, and his fingerstlye playing is second to none, especially in a jazz setting, thanks for the cool video!

16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Any vids of that?

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Bill did a clinics years ago where he's playing fingerstyle and just killing and he had Jaco Pastorius on drums(Bill has it on video).

18. Perhaps it will show up on youtube at some point..

:cool:

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think his incredible speed at slapping is only matched by his incredible slowness in recording- it's taking him FOREVER to get his album out!

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

That would be Kool but I don't think so.