Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Evans' "Someday My Prince"

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Andy Allen, May 13, 2005.

1. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bill Evans - Live In Buenos Aires 1979 CD 3 - 05 someday my prince will come.

I was given this recording as an illustration of the kind of arrangement a band I will be subbing for will be using. Like I can pull off this kind of playing - :rolleyes:

Anyone know who this is - great backing and solo...it's probably a no-brainer for you guys, but I'm not up on Bill's bassists, year-by-year.

2. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    I don't have that recording but Bill's trio at that time would have featured Marc Johnson on bass and Joe LaBarbara on drums

bob

3. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, Bob,

After a few more listens I really like this recording. I have that tune by Bill Evans with Eddie Gomez on the "Live at Montreux" CD, but this is even better.

I tried to find "Live in Buenos Aires" locally, as I'd like to hear the rest of the set, but couldn't find it at Amoeba Records, or on the Web at Amazon.

Further sleuthing at allmusic.com seems to indicate that this recording has not been released on CD, so the mp3 that I have must have been ripped from the original vinyl.

Details from allmusic.com are here: http://tinyurl.com/7bebt

Marc Johnson seems to have an impressive resume ( http://tinyurl.com/83vty ) - any pointers for where to start listening to his work? (Possibly I should start a thread in the "Bassists" forum.)

Thanks,

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    There's all kinds of great stuff. His "Bass Desires" CDs, with John Scofield, Bill Frisell, and Peter Erskine are great. He did a nice trio CD with Lyle Mays and Jack DeJohnette a few years ago. His work with Eliane Elias is nice. The stuff with Bill Evans is probably my favorite.

Oh, yeah...the CD he did with Eddie Daniels and Gary Burton, "Benny Rides Again", is very nice.

For a great, pure picture of his playing, the instructional book he did with Chuck Sher is worth owning. He does some absolutely jaw-dropping playing on the accompanying CD.

5. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was working my way through Marc's credits list on allmusic and realized that I already have him on some CDs...Michel Camillo is of particular note, as I love his playing and would get to see him regularly when I lived in New York, backed by the likes of John Pattitucci. I haven't listened to him much since I moved to LA - about time I broke those CDs out again.

Marcus, is Marc's tutorial book mostly aimed at Double Bass? I subbed in a bass, piano, drums/percussion, flute band tonight, and got a solo in almost every tune (I usually only expect two or three a night). I managed to pull some pretty good stuff out of the hat, but there were some casualties, for sure...I could probably use some good soloing tips right about now. I've a month before they've booked me again to get some more ideas together.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    No, not necessarily, it could be used by a bass guitarist. The title is "Concepts For Bass Soloing". But most of it has a DB kind of sensibility to it. Of course, all of the playing on the CD is on double bass, with piano accompaniment (and excellent bass transcriptions) from Larry Dunlap. I feel that it is an excellent book for busting out of the ruts that we can sometimes fall into as soloing bassists.

7. Hey Marcus, I didn't know Larry Dunlap did that thing.
    I did a record with he and his wife, Bobbe Norris.

8. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    this same trio (Evans, Johnson, LaBarbera) have a wonderful record called The Paris Concert from November 1979.

Also, Marc Johnson plays on John Taylor's album 'Rosslyn' from 2003 (on ECM), and John Taylor is well worth checking out for a modern pianist clearly influenced by the Bill Evans Trios.

9. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    This sounds like just what I need. I want something aimed at DB players, because I find that notes fall under my fingers very differently (and much more easily) on electric bass. I ordered it today from BassBooks.com.

Until the other night I had never thought of myself as a "soloing bassist"...I was always a backing musician that took a couple of token solos by way of introduction. It's a new, and rather pleasant, experience to be one of the "front line"...a whole new set of challenges (and potential disasters) await. And as for ruts, I'm still fairly new to DB, so it's all ruts from from my perspective, and with steep sides too. :D

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Well, I can hardly be considered objective regarding DB vs.EB.... to my ears, the vastly larger palette of sounds available from the BASS is what I hear in my head. I do recognize that there are great slabbers out there playing at a very high level.

I believe our Brother Ray espouses working out concepts on the slab, if that's what you're familiar with (forgive me if I'm wrong, Ray), before applying it to the bass. I think that's a great idea. For me, I have such a hard time playing the slab anymore, it's counterproductive, because I'm just so much more comfortable with the bass than with the slab. But maybe it's not a bad idea to flesh out your initial ideas on the slab. Just don't let anyone see you doing it. :smug: