1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Birdsong (Hy5) Custom Built 5 string Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jimboBEADG, Feb 13, 2016.

1. jimboBEADG

jimboBEADG Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Price:
    $1750
    Strings:
    This (Hy5) short scale bass was custom built by Scott Beckwith of Birdsong Guitars. It has a cherry wood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, matching cherry wood head stock, and gold Hipshot bridge and tuner keys. This is truly an amazing bass and the only reason I am selling it is that I have decided that a 4 string better matches my needs. If you aren’t already familiar with how Scott accomplishes a solid performing 5 string on a short scale take a look at his website (www.birdsonguitars.com).

Hy5b.

Orange Caesar likes this.
  2. Mahcks

Mahcks

Dec 22, 2014
    texas
    Kind of an unfortunate username if you're switching to 4 strings!
    Are you the original owner? The truss rod works? What sort of strings do you have on it? Any dents or dings? Can you weigh it? Price includes shipping?

3. jimboBEADG

Sep 29, 2010

4. jimboBEADG

Sep 29, 2010
    You are right about the username. This is my second attempt at playing a 5 string - first was an MTD 35" scale. This Hy5 is much easier to play then the MTD, but I still can't get use to the extra string. I am the second owner. It originally had a fretless neck but when I got it from Scott Beckwith (Birdsong) last May I had him make a new fretted neck for it. So yes, the truss rod and everything else about the bass works. It is in excellent shape with no dings, dents, or mars of any kind. I have D'Addario Chromes (50 -105) strings on it as recommended by Scott. It weighs in at 9 pounds. At $1750 I am taking a big hit so I would rather not include shipping in the price - but if you are serious we could talk about it - maybe split it. If you are interested in this Hy5, how about contacting me via email at jmoran@du.edu

Thanks for the response,

Jim