Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bjørn Kjellemyr

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by artistanbul, Sep 25, 2004.

1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Recently I relistened to "If Mountains Could Sing" by Terje Rypdal which is a wonderful album on its own. there is a song called "the return of per ulv" and it has an amazing upright or fretless bass solo in it. To day I thought the bassist was Miroslav Vitous, which was actually Bjørn Kjellemyr. I searched the forum and couldn't find info on him. If you know about him please mention something and recommend some songs or albums made by or with him. thanks.

2. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
  3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Disclaimer: This is just off the top of my head.

He's Norwegian, like Terje Rypdal. (that one was obvious)
    I think he used to play (upright) bass with the Norwegian National Radio Orchestra, back in the days... but I may have him mixed up with someone else.

Frode Berg probably knows more.
    Where are you Frode?

4. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Check his other work with Rypdal on the ECM label, especially Chasers and Blue.
    "If Mountains Could Sing" is a pretty unusual CD. Don't expect to find another like it.

I believe you will find more of his work on the Curling Legs label at http://www.curlinglegs.no/ The label produces some good Norwigean jazz.

He seems to favor URB, but can really kick on electric when he wants to.

John

5. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    hi!

Yeah, I know Bjørn personally, he's a great guy and a great bass player! Someone I grew up listening to!

Check out the Rypdal album "Blue". It has some fantastic bass playing on it!
    Also, the work of Norwegian pianist Jan Gunnar Hoff has some great stuff!

If you find albums difficult to buy, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

Regards,

Frode Berg