1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Cobra

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by thunderbolt, Apr 26, 2010.

1. A guitarist friend of mine turned me on to this band called Black Cobra, in which a single guitarist splits his signal and runs through a guitar stack AND an ampeg stack. It really fills out the sound so they guitar is thrashing through both frequency spectrums.

Do you guys know of any bands where a bassist does that? The only one I can think of is Lightning Bolt, but they aren't really "doomy".

Long story short, recommend me some doom/sludge metal bands with 1 bassist and 1 drummer.

2. I love Black Cobra.

Check out Om. It's slower than black cobra, but the bassist is Al Cisneros of Sleep.

Big Business you may also like. Faster than doomy-sludge stuff, it's more noise-rock.

Personally, i love Death From Above 1979. Not doom... they were straight up dance punk. The bassist has an amazing tone.

Sorry, i know there are other doom/sludge two pieces... but i cant remember at the moment. Give those bands a listen though.

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Some buddies of my band's called Millions of Brazilians from Detroit do this - kinda.

They have a regular guitarist and drummer rockin out. Then the "bassist" is really a guitarist running an ES-335 (thick guitar tone) through an octave pedal through an Ampeg 8x10 stack - can't remember what amp head, but I wanna say its SS Ampeg.

Anyways, sounds real low and thick, and he can still strum out chords during chaotic parts or play basslines on a single string during verses and it all sounds great.