1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

black nylons

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by craig gutshe, Jul 6, 2014.

1. craig gutshe

craig gutshe

Jul 5, 2014
    flatwounds any good? and can i get them for short scale?

2. Black nylons are great for short scale Craig. Easy got hold of too. La Bella , Rotosound and, I just discovered today, Status all do shorts.
    I've a set of Roto RS88's on my wee Dean Evo .65 - .115, huge difference to the bass. There's a lot of love for flats on the Short Scale
    thread also more info, I've only tried the Roto's and hope to try the Status soon.

The big change for me was the fuller tone of course using the heaviest gauge would help this too.

3. craig gutshe

craig gutshe

Jul 5, 2014
    thanks for the info ithink im going to put a set on my hofner

4. Is that the Beatle Bass Craig ?

I've heard of strings just for that bass. Will have a look around for them and get back to you.
    Probably half hour or so

5. Easy search that one La Bella and Hofner both do Beatle Bass strings,LaB's in flats and tapes but I checked length on the Status and they
    would fit as well.

Bass Strings Online would be the place, tell them your on TB for a discount.

6. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Be aware that you may have to widen your nut slots if you go with Rotosound or the largest LaBella set.

GHS, D'Addario, and Labella all offer smaller gauged sets that fit a standard nut - they're 50 - 105.

7. Root 5

Though I've heard others say that, myself and some who use Roto's find the nylon compresses in at the nut so fits.

What I did have to do way ream a bit out of the bridge but that was the D string and because of a poorly drilled hole.

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    After having played just about every string that is out there in the last 38 years, I have now transitioned to tapewounds on all of my instruments for a variety of reasons, all of them good. I still like the Fender flats, but they quit making the CL 45-105 set. I still like Progressives, but I don't play as much as I used to for them to settle in like I would like - I actually let the last set start to rust on a bass I don't play out with much. The technology has improved on the manufacturing and tone of tapes so there is actually real tone in there, not just "all thump, all the time" as the original Fender nylon sleeve strings of the late '60's.

In addition to Jason's article about what is inside a tapewound string, there is more information here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/threads/tapewound-club-anyone.1073984/

Yes, there are sets made just for short scale. Not all short scale basses take the same strings, due to differences in scale length, afterlength, and leader from nut to tuner, so contact Jason at bassstringsonline.com to make sure you get the proper fitting strings for your instrument.

subdude67 and kodiakblair like this.
  9. craig gutshe

craig gutshe

Jul 5, 2014
    yes

10. See #5 Craig

Good post from iiipopes who seconds bassstringsonline

11. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I think I am going to put a set of black nylons on my wife:D

Root 5 likes this.
  12. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Any tuning issues with the string being lodged in the nut?

13. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Beatle Bass? Yes, La Bella makes specific strings for Beatle Bass. Jason can help you here:
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Hofner-Beatle-Bass-Strings_c_101.html

Nut binding is not good. The string will catch and pop. There will be different tensions on each side of the nut, and eventually the string will pop and equalize its tension, throwing the string out of tune. Moreover, any added physical stress to the string, like pinching it in too narrow a nut slot, will cause fatigue and be a cause of breakage.

Have the nut slots altered accordingly.

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    If I'm going to wear nylons while playing bass, I prefer fishnet or nude.

15. I've not noticed any nut binding yet. The strings are still settling in. I see and appreciate both Root5 and iiipope's point so I'll be keeping an eye on the Dean.

Shouldn't affect Craig if he buys the La Bellas.

16. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

D'Addario ETB92S Nylon Tapewounds on my Gibson SG. Std.

AixQBSA.