Black Sabbath - The End of The End

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ThudThudThud, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I watched this documentary on Sunday. I had my surround sound set on HD-Digital, so the signal was very clear.

I must say that Geezer Butler's bass tone was simply outrageous. Rock bass as it should sound. Lakland into

There are some weird out of sync sequences here and there (which makes it look like he's 'fumbling' through the songs), and the yakking during songs was distracting (play the interview, or play the song PLEASE!), but cool stuff.

He's one of the reasons I started playing bass, and Black Sabbath was my first concert in 1978, but the tone on this film was next level.

Axstar likes this.
  2. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    Agreed. Geezer is a great bassist with awesome technique and tone. Missed Bill Ward though.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I thought he sounded best in the 80s on his B.C. Rich Eagle & AFAIK he's very minimalistic with the pedals.

4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Geezer's tone is great, which is a shame if Sabbath are really packing it in. It is like he finally reconciled the drive and churn from the early albums, but with better amplification in a more stable environment. His tone went a bit weak and clean for a period, which didn't always keep up with his aggressive style, but it seems he's back to blending in drive with a clean signal which is his tone.

I saw Black Sabbath a few years ago (2014 maybe?) and I didn't really miss Bill. I doubt Bill would be able to keep up and play a whole set. Yes, some of his swing and jazzy groove was missing. However he's an old man that hasn't looked after himself, and he's not up for the athletic job of playing a whole Sabbath set. My only beef with that gig was the endless nonsense coming from Ozzy. Shouting over Tony's solos, etc. Even in the early days he tended to pepper live performances with lots of random outbursts when he wasn't singing, but this seemed especially bad.

5. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I listened to most of the show on Sirius (Ozzy's channel). I agree with you totally on Bill Ward. Not sure if Bill is even up to the task at his age, but the drummer they did have had ZERO swing - which Bill certainly had on a lot of those early recordings. Always thought Bill/Geezer had a touch of jazz/swing going on, even though Bill looked like he was trying to murder the kit.

It wasn't bad. It just wasn't the same. Shame that Bill Ward couldn't be any part of that last tour...even a set.

Joshua likes this.
  6. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Watched it with my son. Geezer's tone so FAT! Loved it would have liked more songs but is what it is. Loved the songs they did live in the studio also.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022