Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Ok, i know it can only be on or the other.

but what is black?

science says that it is the absense of color

but when you color in a circle with all the other magic markers. they make black... which would mean it is a combination of all the colors.

so which is it?

2. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I don't know about this one either. I suppose they would be basing this on the fact that if there is no light, everything is black. Probably because white light consists of all of the spectrums.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Pigments and light are different and you need to think about them that way.

When talking about light, white is a combination of all the wavelengths of visible light, and black is the absence of visible light. by combining the right balanced light sources you can create white light, and by shutting them all off, you get black.

Pigments (in markers etc) are actually particles that absorb certian frequencies of light and reflect others. White pigments reflect all the visible frequencies of light in the same proprtion and thus act as a source of all the visible wavelengths of light. Blue pigments absorb red and yellow wavelengths of light and only reflect blue, red pigments absorb blue and yellow and only reflect red, yellow follows the same patern. If you mix the three, then you have a combination of pigments which absorbs all the visible colors and thus doesnt reflect any visible light, therefore, the absence of light (color) idea still applies.

4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  5. put simply, black is the absence of reflected color.

6. or absence of reflected visible light

7. even better!

8. "I see a red door and I want it painted black
    No colors anymore I want them to turn black..."

Sorry, thats what this thread reminds me of. :D

Oh, and black is totally a color. I think.

9. Additive/Subtractive colors. Basically, when you put multiple paint colors together they make black. However, when you put all colors of light together, they make white. I can't remember which is which (additive/subtractive).

10. that makes me think of "Tour of Duty"

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Subtractive is the paint one. Additive is the light one. And that's exactly why black is both all the colors combined with paint yet no light reflected back.

12. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Or none. None more black.

Black

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This makes a warm dark brown (dark enough to be considered black) but not black.

Quite simply: Black is beautiful.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What about a nice pastel black?

15. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Maybe with your "magic" markers. :smug:

*Struts away with great air of superiority"

16. That was the BEST show! A few years ago they were running it in order on TNT during the day. I was off work from a back injury and got to see most of it. They took out all the real music and replaced it with "60's-ish" generic stuff to avoid paying the royalties- with the exception of the theme song- Paint It Black- replaced with some generic synthesizer music; sorta sounded like the ER theme.
    [​IMG]

Maybe markers simulate black. Sort of like "Artificial Colors and Sweetening."

17. A state of mind.

18. That is going to be on the xmas list for sure (if I can wait that long?)

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Attached Files:

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

:D

but, seriously...

people had this problem in..what, the 1600s? :meh: