1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blackout Effectors Whetstone Phaser

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Apr 16, 2009.

1. GAS ALERT! If you do not have money for any more gear, do NOT click on the link below!

Now that I know you've clicked on the link, might be one of the most versatile analog pedals I've ever seen!

2. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    I'm on my phone so I can't click it! Is it based on the small stone?

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I've been watching this for a while. I wasn't willing to buy one of the first run (especially without clips) so I told Brad at ToneFactor to reserve one for me when he gets them in. I'm surprised PGS got them in first.

Being that I don't like the Phase 90 and love the Small Stone, I've always wondered why there were a million script circuit clones out there and no SS clones. Nice to see this one come along.

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I am looking forward to trying this out.
    Sounds great for guitar, I'm curious how it sounds on bass.

4. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Yes.

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Is it anything like the custom phaser he did on his site?

6. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Yes.

7. The fact that you can make the waveform assymetrical and get univibe tones might seal this for me. Unfortuntely, I'm gonna have to sell my Polyphase to try this bad boy out, which means no more envelope phase, but it might be worth it. That über-slow mode sounds freaking awesome, too.

8. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    envelope phasing seems to be the only thing missing from this bad boy! LOVE the asymmetrical mode. The "ring" mode sounds promisingly tame. I like all kinds of things about this phaser - but untill they add envelope mode I refuse to buy one :p

9. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    I just got done throwing down on the VERY cool Earthquaker Grand Orbiter Phase, and now I gotta buy this one too!? The Phaser clones are the next big thing, perhaps?

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's actually too full featured for my tastes, but very cool nonetheless.

11. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    It's funny because I drool over pedals with so many options but then when I buy them I realize that I don't or can't use the majority of those features when playing live since I don't want to have to readjust knobs between every song.

I understand why he had to do it that way and I like the obscenely wide rate ranges, but I don't like having a rotary knob for the rate options. And I'm sure many feel differently, but I'm just not a fan of 2 stage phasers so that switch will likely be useless for me. But those are about the only nits I can pick without playing the Whetstone. Everything else about it looks and sounds (at least from the guitar clip) awesome.

12. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I'm already on Kyle's list to get one, I'll be sure and let you guys know what I think, and post clips once I get one.

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Huh. Between the knobs, the color, and the layout, this would look so well matched with a malekko 919.

14. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    this seems like it'd be perfect for my guitar rig.....bass.....not sure....

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's no Halophase :ninja:

16. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I know, I already said a few posts back that this one was a Small Stone clone, not a Phase 90 clone . . .

Mario keeps having to push back the date on my custom phaser (he's got an interesting project next up on his bench) so I may end up with this phaser for a while.

17. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    does a halophase actually make noise? :ninja:

18. Yeah, it's not. This one is actually made and you can buy it.

19. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Unsolved political mystery. :ninja:

20. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    $265 does seem a bit high. am i just sniffing glue and being crazy. someone smack me.