1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blend pot wiring question? Toggle

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jerzey2222, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Jerzey2222

Jerzey2222

Mar 22, 2013
    Ok so I was wondering if someone could help my guitar tech and I with something. Basically what we are trying to accomplish is to have the option to be able to use a 3 way toggle for both pickups or a blender pot. We want to put in a switch that can let you choose to use the 3way OR the blender knob. So in other words when the switch is UP the 3way toggle works normally to switch between pickups. When the switch is DOWN the 3way is bypassed and now you use the blend pot to switch from pup 2 pup. Is this possible to do? What kind of switch would we use? Anyone have the schematics? I should note i have 1 master volume 1 tone and mini toggles for series/parallel and coil split. As well as OOP. Thanks. Please Help!

2. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I'm thinking a simple on/on toggle will work for selecting between blend or 3 way selector..

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

A more common alternative would be to have the balance adjust the ratio of the middle position.

4. I did a diagram for neck/blend/bridge once. It doesn't make much sense to want two switches for this, but I can do a diagram for that, if you want.

5656607424_09e8af019c_o.

5. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    As far as I understand he wants a switch which selects Toggle OR Balance.
    This is no problem with a DPDT switch between PUs and the "selected item".

What makes it a problem is the aditional series/parallel otion plus coil split.

And there are different ways to wire / let a balance pot (or toggle) act in series mode ...
    Shall it still have influence in series mode or not?

Balance OR toggle is no problem.
    But together with the other wishes you get so many possibilities Jerzey didn't even think about. And some selction might be impossible or make no sense. A series working toggle has to be an ON/OFF/ON switch, a normal parallel working toggle is ON/ON/ON ...

6. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    I attached a pdf with toggle/balance switch.

On the second page is the diagram of how this has to look like with an additional series/parallel switch.

In parallel mode, the wiring works as on the page before.
    In series mode, balance and toggle have no influence.

I think the comparison of the diagrams show that this wiring is only something for "experts". Otherwise you might get into problem if something is wrong. The is no WYSIWYG drawing on the second page - too crowdy, too much time ...

If you have someone skilled in electronics, the diagram itself should be enough. But be shure he/she doesn't only "have a big mouth". Don't blaim it on the diagram! I think line6man, Stealth and other confirm it's right / one possibility.

For the extra coil split, the PUs can not easily be connected to GND! They have to be short-cutted to one of the "HOT" (or "GND") wire from the PU itself.
    For the bridge PU this can mean GND - but not for the neck PU.

Attached Files:

7. Jerzey2222

Jerzey2222

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks you so much for all the input!
    To line6man, thanks for the diagram. So Blend will only work in the middle position, correct? Also will the the series/paralell still work?

Cadfael, Thank you also. Your diagram intrigues me. Now I am just a little confused about what u were saying about it. Will the S/P still work if the GRD is short-cutted to one of the "HOT" (or "GND") wire from the PU itself? (Like u said) The mini switches I want to use for S/P and Coil tap are just 2 ON/ON's. I like them better for simplicity. 1 for S/P. 1 for Coil Tap.

Line6man, if you want to draw me a diagram also I would be grateful. But I assume you think Cadael has did ok?
    Thanks you so much everybody! I wish I was as talented as you all. I am learning so much!!

8. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    I hope I'm right ... :rolleyes:

line6mans diagram shows a switch which does
    bridge / balance for both / neck

Mine shows a "second switch" which selects
    1) Balance
    2) toggle: bridge / both / neck

My diagram on the second page of the pdf adds a series/parallel switch.
    In parallel mode, the switches work as stated above.
    In series mode, all other switches have no influence. Both PUs are in series and you can not select a PU via balance or toggle.

- - - - - - -

What comes now is the coil split ... (not included in the diagram)

You normally do coil splits by connecting both inner wires to HOT or GND.
    Because of the "series mode", the neck HB won't be connected to GND in series mode and the bridge HB won't be connected to HOT as well. They will be connected to each other.

All I wanted to say: If "the two inner wires" of the HB are connected to ONE of the "outer wires", one of the coils gets the same signal on both sides and will be "split".
    Splitting still works - but not by "easily connecting" to GND or HOT. The inner wires have to be connected to one of the "outer wires".

Print this (with the PDF) and your soldering guy should understand at once and explain to you on my diagram. If he doesn't understand, he shouldn't do this "expert wiring" ...

EDIT:
    I attached the diagram of toggle/balance select + series/parallel + coil split ...

Attached Files:

9. Jerzey2222

Jerzey2222

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks for the diagram. We have it all in but the OOP is not working. Any ideas on how to make it work?