Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bloch Pieces Besides "Prayer"?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Pete G, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    The Carl Fischer part I have for Prayer (no. 1 from "Jewish Life") also lists on the back a bass transcription of a piece called "Meditation Hebraique" and two other parts of Jewish life (for cello) -- no. 2, "Supplication"; and no. 3, "Jewish Song."

There's also a cello part listed for part 2, "Nigun" (Improvisation) from "Baal Shem - Pictures of Chassidic Life" (apparently a fiddle/piano piece).

I've never heard any of these other than Prayer, which I really like. Anyone else heard or played them? How well do any of them work on bass?

2. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Hi Pete,

I've done Baal Shem on recital before. The music is effective on the bass, I think. Certainly better than the 3rd bach gamba sonata. It took a lot of thinking about fingerings, and depending on scordatura, you have to adjust the piano part for Nigun. or the Solo part for Simchas Torah and the First movement (supplication..).

The octaves are fiendishly difficult to pull off, but its worth it.

3. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks. I'm finding the Prayer fiendishly difficult enough at the moment, but you make me want to try some of the other pieces as well.