1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blown Fuse Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ShredTilYerDead, May 11, 2011.

1. ShredTilYerDead

ShredTilYerDead

Dec 25, 2010
    LA, CA
    So, I was playing a gig and all of a sudden my amp starts cutting out then cuts out completely. It's a Mesa 400+. After the show, turned the head back on and tried playing it, it made some sound, then blew a fuse and turned off. Everyone I know seems to think it's a power tube. Any thoughts or ideas on what's wrong?

2. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    If it blew a fuse after cooling and re-powering, it is amp tech time.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Agreed. Find a tech in your area who knows your amp and take it to him/her to have it serviced.

4. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Yup, mine did the same thing a while back. Static, the sound cut out, then "pop"... It was a power tube, but a power tube failure can lead to other problems in the "kill you dead" regions of the circuitry that you don't want to poke around in. Shop time: get it checked out.

5. ShredTilYerDead

ShredTilYerDead

Dec 25, 2010
    LA, CA
    Thanks everyone, as soon as I'm home, I'm taking it to a tech asap!

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    The one thing you could check yourself is to simply make sure all your power tubes are fully seated.

One of the power tubes in my 400+ rattled a 1/4" out of its socket and caused a short blowing several fuses.

When we found that tube we simply pushed it back in and this amp has never blew a fuse again. no-chit!