Bob Dylan - Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Smokey, Jun 9, 2004.

1. I don't know what to make of this picture I found, its a poster from

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    nice find... looks like he's uncomfortable with the strap length.... he might be fooling around or showing the bassist what he's looking for.
  3. I know this is an older thread, but what the hey, let's hear some more input.
  4. It really upsets me that David Gilmour plays all the interesting bass parts in Pink Floyd*

I always thought, "Hey, Roger Waters played something cool on bass!" Only to later find out Dave played it.

Examples, intro to Hey you, Pigs(three different ones) ect.

*Noting that instead of a bassist playing writing cool things, the guitarist was.
  5. Do you think Dylan actually played it on a recording? WE know hendrix did it, and I'm sure a few other famous guitarists did it. I just can't see Dylan laying down a groove on that sweet jazz bass.
  6. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I don't think Dylan ever played bass on a record, but that sure is a great photo. I recently got the reissue of "Blood On The tRacks" and oofa loofa is that a good record. They did an incredible job remastering it, too. Dylan has never given much thought to recording quality or production - most of his released songs are first or second takes done literally while the band was just learning the chord changes for the first time- but Blood On The Tracks has such a wonderful organic sound. You can hear the buttons on Bob's shirt rattling against his acoustic- something that would annoy the hell out of most engineers, but it really adds to the intimacy of the recordings. Highly recommended album for anybody that thinks Dylan is just that old guy with the funny voice.
  7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    That photo is from a series taken when Dylan had just received a Fender endorsement. But judging by some of the bass lines aroudn that time, it could well have been him playing. Root/fifth/flub, anyone?

Ah still, he looked cool with that bass.
  8. The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003

he could be laying down a sweet tapping groove on that jazz bass.
  9. Dylan is a genius. I think hes showing Jaco what to do. Lol.
  10. I'm pretty sure he recorded most of the stuff during that period live, so there's no way he could have played bass. That picture is from 1965, I think probably from when he was recording Highway 61 Revisited.
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Considering he was a solo artist, I'm sure he picked up a bass from time to time. He's music is by no means egotistical so I think he could be a cool bassist and probably wouldn't even credit himself.